Sign in to follow this  
Waffle

Bhp or flywheel hp?

Does Everyone seem to say whp which is the bigger number? I've been discussing this with some friends as which you should say regarding your car.

I've even started send messages to people on the donedeal app asking which one they were advertising with mixed results. So what do you guys say when talking about the power of your cars?

The majority of people in this part of the world quote flywheel horsepower figures. One reason being that this number is bigger than the wheel horsepower figure. Flywheel horsepower is only an estimate as the losses through the drivetrain could be 10%-15%. Americans mostly quote whp, this is an accurate number as that's where the measurement is taken.

Fwhp for me as this is what the manufacturers use. No point telling someone who isnt into cars as much as we are my car is 255 whp, and them thinking their chipped 240 bhp golf has a chance.

Yes the figures people quote are not from an engine dyno, but weren't many a jap car supposed to be only 276hp, but turned out to be higher.

I believe the chassis dynos and their "coast down method" to be accurate enough to quote fwhp. Personally I know if my car makes 300.2 hp at the flywheel, I wouldn't be to pushed if there was a couple % inaccuracy.

Like when I used to do trackdays, used to get my friends to time a couple of laps and go flat out, but then people would say "oh it's not accurate as its not a timing beam" etc. Used to think to myself "how far off an accurate lap do these clowns think my friend is with a stop watch/phone". A couple tents perhaps, they would go on like it would be seconds out.