Chazz

Build your own D585 Ignition System - Save Money

Hi Chazz,

Thanks for this excellent DIY.

Just to confirm on the coils: http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Ignition-Coils-on-Plug-Pack-For-Buick-Cadillac-Chevy-GMC-Isuzu-V8-C1251-UF262/131208683584?_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20131017132637%26meid%3Dd0cbc24168fe479c99a0a5c2b0f9f068%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D8%26sd%3D131208683584

These the ones?

Also is it absolutely necessary to change the dwell as it is impossible for me to do so here on a small Greek island.

Cheers...:)

Hi@cisjga,

Cheers

Yeap they're the coils from that supplier. Being running on them for the past 17 months now and no problems what so ever.
With regard to the dwell setting you don't have to get them adjusted. It just means it may take a second or two longer to start the engine. A good few owners don't bother getting it done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just got myself some of those coils, wires, and bracket from here for less than  €55 https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Rx-8-LS-Ignition-coil-bracket-kit-d585-stainless-EU-Europe/123146283755?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

now waiting for the parts to be delivered. 

Thanks guys this tread help me, Irish Rotary forum doing it again! 

Cheers!

Hey all, 

Just an update. I had one coil fail on me yesterday. It has been nearly 2 years that I have them on. The failure doesn't bother me, I had an extra on hand. They are cheap enough. I actually bought a carbole one from AliExpress. The plugs are new, the cables great etc.

What I don't like is the way in which the coil failed. I have been chasing an erratic idle issue months now. Funnily enough, I had positive fuel trims which meant I had a vacuum leak. I got all that sorted but it still wasn't 100%. When the coil completely failed, the car wouldn't start easily and I had to crank a very long time to get it going. Surely enough the check engine came on and the code read was for a misfire in cylinder 1 (front rotor). Put in the new coil in the leading position for the front rotor and walla all perfect.

My idle is absolutely fantastic. All problems solved. I can't believe that months now, it was the coil.

So along with the good we should update each other on the bad as well. Would I use these coils again? Sure. I just need to keep a close eye on them.

Thanks,

John