Chazz

What Have You Done to Your RX Today?

Bought another 8. Silver one has been off the road for months now, great to be back in a rotary. Few jobs to do, some bubbling in rear arches to sort, mid pipe to be transferred from the other 8 as well as the tablet set-up in the dash. 

YTBlOTM3NjEyMTE4ZDcwODYxYmE3MDQ4ZGFjOTIxOWU0vfEEsUvYdSXvR-5xZ5ORaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xMzE3MzM5OTV8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

Finally got time to take a proper look at the 8... 3 months after I bought it as non starter.

Got it starting back then. Today was spent assessing the rest of what’s needed / what caused its problem.

Found an old NCT cert from 2017 and it’s only gone 65 miles in the last 2 years.

It would appear that it’s problems stem from the rad. The neck of the pipe for the expansion tank seems to perished and broken off, leaked water into the fans, fecked the fans, melted the fan wiring into 5hit and blown the 120a fuse!

So rad hacked back together with an aluminum neck ( for testing, new aluminum rad with a pair of fans in the post).

Car started 1st turn. No error codes , ticking over @840rpm. A bit of driving in the field and I have all the funny traction control lights sorted.

Except the proxy sensor in the expansion tank.

All 3 fan relays tested and working

Seems to try engage the 1st fan at about 90c and the second fan at 107c - both fans are totally wanked.

And finally a quick wash

a55c0e84837fd1046bdf36e68c9df93d.jpg

So it’s :

New rad

New fans

New box of 120Amp fuses

New water pump

New thermostat - or I might just drill a 5 or 6 mm hole in the existing one to keep the water circulating at all times.

I’m hoping that keeps her cool

bc941bb86964e1d3d30b14ddb47f3a3f.jpg

34b4c28d337c3f2c28997c28d11d0d4b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got time to take a proper look at the 8... 3 months after I bought it as non starter.
Got it starting back then. Today was spent assessing the rest of what’s needed / what caused its problem.

Found an old NCT cert from 2017 and it’s only gone 65 miles in the last 2 years.

It would appear that it’s problems stem from the rad. The neck of the pipe for the expansion tank seems to perished and broken off, leaked water into the fans, fecked the fans, melted the fan wiring into 5hit and blown the 120a fuse!

So rad hacked back together with an aluminum neck ( for testing, new aluminum rad with a pair of fans in the post).

Car started 1st turn. No error codes , ticking over @840rpm. A bit of driving in the field and I have all the funny traction control lights sorted.
Except the proxy sensor in the expansion tank.

All 3 fan relays tested and working
Seems to try engage the 1st fan at about 90c and the second fan at 107c - both fans are totally wanked.

And finally a quick wash
a55c0e84837fd1046bdf36e68c9df93d.jpg

So it’s :
New rad
New fans
New box of 120Amp fuses
New water pump
New thermostat - or I might just drill a 5 or 6 mm hole in the existing one to keep the water circulating at all times.

I’m hoping that keeps her cool

bc941bb86964e1d3d30b14ddb47f3a3f.jpg

34b4c28d337c3f2c28997c28d11d0d4b.jpg

Do not f@ckin drill holes. Buy a thermostat, they're cheap, just takes labour to fit, it's your own labour, so it's a saving.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

ahh don’t be like that.. I have 2 new ones here so it’s not the price or Labour. It’s about keeping it cooler Before it gets too hot, it’s the crawling in traffic that will be the problem for me.

Dude labour is not a cost as all RX8 owners do there own. Get in touch with @Jamie re fans he'll sort you out

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Took it to Cars and Coffee on Sunday. Yes - I'm still alive.

Took it to the NCT this morning. It failed.

I have some MDF deckplates in the boot to keep spills from bothering the carpet. They didn't like them. They also didn't like the keyfob hanging from the mirror.

It failed on a fucking keyfob.

I always stand looking at mine when it's going through NCT and I don't recall ever seeing them open the boot.

Mine passed a couple of weeks ago too. One weird thing though was that he didn't test the brakes or suspension on the rollers. He took it down the street to do the brake test. Anyone ever see that before?

They just wanted a spin in it!!
I’ve not nct’d the 8 yet but with the GTI golf it seemed to depend on the persons mood. Some of them can be real difficult for no reason.
I have failed on window tint before , it passed the previous year, removed tint to get passed , 150 quid for the same tint again, passed the following year with its new tint which was the same shade as the original tint, same test centre and I’m 99% sure it was the same baldy auld tester!

Took it to Cars and Coffee on Sunday. Yes - I'm still alive.
Took it to the NCT this morning. It failed.
I have some MDF deckplates in the boot to keep spills from bothering the carpet. They didn't like them. They also didn't like the keyfob hanging from the mirror.
It failed on a fucking keyfob.

Was it just a case or removing the stuff and then a visual check? That’s what I done with the tint, tore it off in the car park walked back in 10 mins later different lad, glanced at the fail sheet, walked over to the car and just passed it. Surely it’s not a re-test is it?