Chazz

What Have You Done to Your RX Today?

3 months after buying my first RX8 (which incidentally, is my first post 90's car to own), it's starting to grow on me!

She's just back out of the bodyshop today (FINALLY)- work done:

1. Both Sills, footwells and seams restored;
  2. Useless underbody treatment scraped back and off;
  3. All seams sealed;
  4. Stonechip &paint on rear wheel arches and lower and inner sill;
  5. Pesky upper sill (where the doors meet) rust treated and the upper sill resprayed;
  6. Dinitrol (heavy guage- not the light version) treatment underneath ;
  7. New front 02 sensor;
  8. New transmission, axle, engine oil and filter.

Really happy with it, it's starting to become a clean car- one can spend a bit of time underneath it now without feeling depressed!

Yet to be done- check out cel code p0420 coming up, all calipers need cleaning out and painting, rims need restoring and a front respray to deal with light rust on front wheel arches& bumper scratches, climate control dials not functioning...

Re P0420; apparently a typical decat/gut resulting code- is there a way know if your cat has been gutted?! (without pulling it out to see)

She's going back on the lift to have the plastic trims put back on (once the Dinitrol has become less tacky)- so pictures coming soon!

No way to check if cat is there without pulling it unfortunately. Rotaries are exempt from emissions testing so its not a big deal. As far as the P0420 code goes, I remap RX8s on stock ECUs and can sort that code permanently for you.

Jamie

On 5/11/2018 at 3:35 PM, littlefeck said:

No way to check if cat is there without pulling it unfortunately. Rotaries are exempt from emissions testing so its not a big deal. As far as the P0420 code goes, I remap RX8s on stock ECUs and can sort that code permanently for you.

Jamie

Coolness, leave it with me to see how annoying that code gets.. I'm hardly ever down your direction unfortunately but definitely will call when I am. If you're ever going sligo direction let me know and maybe we can sort something out!

Like @Owenk N/S oil cooler line gave up.

20180418_155018.thumb.jpg.0e40fd1c639b6ef402cebf6ef2e2088e.jpg

20180418_155209.thumb.jpg.4f01019633a8458f3371f1ef1cec1e1f.jpg

Got a replacement on eBay from the UK, it's not a OEM Mazda but better for €64, delivery included.

2134556745_2018-04-2309_54_48.thumb.jpg.ee82be20548e78d801c6782f41fc25a4.jpg

Being the over cautionist I rust proofed all the metal bits with Hammerite Rust Proof and sprayed then rust Proof Red for the laugh! 

1982879618_2018-04-2619_03_17.thumb.jpg.a59c164b8c839bab075a53c3710d75eb.jpg

Drained the oil before fitting, so took almost 3 hours to complete the job.

Here is the fitted result!

20180428_165655.thumb.jpg.669dfa1962f4b4df024e2611d3cf2226.jpg

Well pleased with myself!

On 5/11/2018 at 11:47 PM, jp said:

Great purchase! B) Handy-out to use, aren't they??

LOL I dont know mate,  finished work early today to do a compression test on my car and no sign of the spark plug socket :rolleyes:Hoping to get one at the auto factors tomorrow but yah it looks like a doddle and I believe alot of the rotary shops use that one:)

4 hours ago, littlefeck said:

Got to make some progress on my very special rx8 build. Tacked up the new manifold. 

20180513_172039.jpg

20180513_181558.jpg

20180513_181709.jpg

20180513_182735.jpg

I love being ignorant when I see developements like this, it means I can say things like...WTF is this?...or Now there's a man who's got a degree in Advanced in Starship Technology!

Way to go Jamie! You're special! LOL!

The above is meant in the best possible taste and admiration. Keep up the good work! :)

Cheers @Chazz, I have been taking lots of photos and will put up a build thread this week (just a reminder to people that image uploading now works as intended) basically I'm  building a peripheral port exhaust rx8 with a turbo. Really a case of "Bit off more than I can chew" but gone too far to back off now!

Busy morning today

Finally got round to putting in the D585s ,leads and new plugs. Also Done the normal service stuff , diff , gearbox , filters ect. 

Amazing the difference coils made to the low idle different car nearly

I upgraded the coils on my rx8 on Saturday and put in new spark plugs.

I went for Bennet performance coils kit mainly due to the lower price, cost was about 280 euro from USA including shipping and additional 90 euro duty excluding spark plugs. They shipped it US postal service so it took weeks and was delivered by an post who held it until duty was paid.

It took about 3 hours going slowly . There is quite a few bits to move out of the way. Overall there was instructions, but fairly brief, the ht leads were not labeled, so it took a bit of double and treble checking to make sure the right wire went to the right coil, and right spark plug. The HT leads were way too long and I had to try cable tie them away from hot bits. Getting the air box out of the way and pushing and sliding things about is fiddely. If going at it a second time you could have it done in 30 minutes.

The coils themselves have no markings except for the Bennet BB logo so not exactly sure what they supply. They call it an LS2 D585 conversion kit.

I mainly did it for long term reliability as my old coils were more than a year and 60,000km+ old. I should get the dwell timing changed by Jamie, but I might just leave them as unmodified shorter dwell might make them last forever and I want reliability over performance. 

After the swap I did not notice any performance difference, although changing the dwell timing could.

https://www.bennettbuiltperformance.com/collections/mazda-rx8/products/rx8-ls2-ignition-swap-kit