Chazz

What Have You Done to Your RX Today?

@littlefeck yeah one of the autopumpkin ones: http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/android-6-0-car-dvd/universal-android-6-0-car-radio/pumpkin-6-2-multi-touch-screen-quad-core-1-6ghz-android-6-0-marshmallow-car-dvd-player-support-phone-mirroring-steering-wheel-control-3g-wifi-obd2.html

really happy with it. Kind of chanced getting the matte finish over the gloss, but delighted I did as I hate the stock gloss finish on some of the plastic in the cabin. Might try and source some red & black leather seats now, and that might be it for the interior tinkering.

.....For now! :P

7 hours ago, podge said:

@littlefeck yeah one of the autopumpkin ones: http://www.autopumpkin.co.uk/android-6-0-car-dvd/universal-android-6-0-car-radio/pumpkin-6-2-multi-touch-screen-quad-core-1-6ghz-android-6-0-marshmallow-car-dvd-player-support-phone-mirroring-steering-wheel-control-3g-wifi-obd2.html

really happy with it. Kind of chanced getting the matte finish over the gloss, but delighted I did as I hate the stock gloss finish on some of the plastic in the cabin. Might try and source some red & black leather seats now, and that might be it for the interior tinkering.

.....For now! :P

How does that integrate with the steering wheel controls and the like?

Good Question! I didn't actually bother wiring it up as I never use it to be honest, but from what I can tell online it's been hit and miss for people that have tried it, so I wasn't arsed. The biggest issue I actually had was trying to fit the new radio, metra box, and the clusterf*ck of wires in the radio bay. I'm not opening it up again for the steering wheel controls!

It's on the long list of things to be done. Next may end up being the thermostat. Was up in Mondello today.

Melted the tyres, smoked the brakes and boiled the petrol (causing a bastard of a Misfire which convinced me to cut the day short lest the engine follow). Was still bubbling when I drove it to the Maxol....   

Was one hot bloody day. Real car killer. Spent the entire thing driving on the temperature gauge between 98 and 102.... 

dGK25Pfl.jpg

Tein suspension was fucking amazing. And glad the brakes were done.

Yesterday Anthony gutted the cat for me, butt dyno says good things and much better noises but a bit annoyed I only got a little over 2 years out of it, I blame my faulty BHR coil in January.

Compression test too, which I was dreading at 80000 miles but delighted with the numbers- 6.2, 8.6 and 8.8 front rotor, 6.95, 7 and 6.95 rear rotor. Hoping a bit of cataclean and some more Italian tuning will dislodge some carbon on the low face. Better results than 4 years ago, phew!

The rear bearing is looking a bit damp so we're going to do some preventative maintenance and replace it as it's a relatively easy job. Front bearing looking good from the outside so hopefully this will stave off a rebuild in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Today was eventful! :D Got up to Shadow just in time to meet the one and only Carl.. aka chazz , who was there to pick up his fantastic example of an 8. 

Built, ported and gleaming. Man she sounded sweet. Hot start on the button with just 2km on the new block! B)

I also got my brake replaced all round, the brake fluid flushed and refilled with dot 5.1,  braided goodridge brake lines front and back fitted, and a new HEL clutch line too. 

Stopping powaahhh!! 

Quickest stopper on the block now lol

Dwell times adjusted for the d585's and compression test done by Jamie.

Normalised Front     6.61    6.65    6.98
Normalised Rear        7.35    7.6    7.72

Not too bad for an original engine with 110k on the clock. Should be good for many more miles under the new owner if she sells 

Didn't happen today but yesterday.

Arrived over to Shadow Rotary (THE ONLY PLACE TO GO IF YOU'RE AN RX7 OR RX8 OWNER) to collect my newly rebuilt and ported 8. Anthony and Eoin are the ultimate rotary rebuilders in my opinion. They leave nothing to chance and are meticulous in their work.

Also met Lenard or was it Luke (sorry dude) and his very nice 06 Evolve and Richie and his beloved white Tiffany which she, Tiffany, entertained us with very loud bangs and her flame throwing skills. :D Made ones eyes water.:lol:

I'll do a full report over on my posted topic, "RX8 won't rev beyond 3,000rpm in 5th and 6th gear" to finish that post off. :)

On 7/29/2017 at 6:25 PM, Aido 8 said:

So I took these off the number 2 RX8, trust me these pulleys really do feel light, little clean and they will be blingB)

IMG_20170729_181152.thumb.jpg.4c26c7cba3d569c46870b812c94d84d6.jpg

Sorry about this guys, I should have said that these are not for sale

General paranoia

Usually, with all cars - suddenly running noticeably better is a sign of something about to go horribly wrong... and I can't afford an engine rebuild right now.

Used to get 150km to the first quarter of a tank. Fairly consistently for 2 years. Put new plugs in it, and it's now 180km, on the exact same route under the exact same conditions.....

Edited by Dartz

Took it to cars and coffee.

Overheated it on the way home. Again. Left it idling while talking to someone and it went three-four notches before I spotted it. Popped the windows and went full-heat on, rather than killing it and heat-soaking - took about fifteen seconds to drop to normal. It was still running hot the whole way home, simmering between 90 and 98 - even with the AC off.

Got home and tested a hypothesis. With the AC on it's overruning the ability of the fans - it idles itself up to 100C after a few minutes. 

I'm wondering if it's a fan problem, or something more drastic. Both fans sound like they're running and it's not obviously loosing coolant or making castrol cream. Thermostat kicks in - it regularly settles at 82 on the motorway.

Be fucked if the water pump's going. Radiator might be an easier swap.

EDIT: Left C'n'C before 'The Incident'

Edited by Dartz

Think I might've figured out what caused the car to overheat.

Found a U0073 on the ECU. Which normally appearrs when the TCS or ABS drop out. It looks like a CANbus glitch. I've had the TCS and ABs drop out, the Gauges flick to Zero, then reset, and even the centre console stop working - so the radio only plays through the centre speaker and none of the wheel controls works. Sometimes it's still there when nothing has gone wrong.

Saw it pop up again today.

And the fan stopped coming on when the compressor for the AC kicked in. Both overheats were on days when the outside temperature was hotter than what the AC was set to, and when the car was idle, or crawling at a very slow speed.

That does depend on if the fans are controlled by their own canbus module but it sort of makes sense

Sailed through another NCT. He didn't even test emissions this time and accidently printed my cert B)

Had adjusted my R/H headlight just before it but thankfully it passed at 1.6 and the left spot on at 1.3. 

New Oil Filter
New fill of 15W45
New Air Filter
New Cabin filter to get rid of the smell of arse and farts.

Engine's aged but healthy at 150k. Starts OK any time - except an hour after shutdown. Rattles a bit from the gearbox and there's a slight greasy seep of oil from the front pully. But it still runs. Put 20k on this year. Might get another 10 on before tax and insurance come up.

Went to investigate a vibration from the front of the car and found the threads had somehow broken on one of the bolts holding in a caliper pin. There's enough thread left to hold it in..... barely. But it's not safely driveably. Got rained on to fuck too. But somehow feel pretty happy about it. The car seems happier too, starting with a little more pep.

Even if it was only driven far enough to swap cars on the drive.