Chazz

What Have You Done to Your RX Today?

@justinnolan Just the bulb man - it's a bit fiddly and you'll need to remove the fuse box cover on the passenger side and the ECU cover on the drivers side to get at them, even at that you'll have to do it by feel but I got it sorted in about 10 mins

Cheers what type bulbs and where ye get? Want to change fogs, side lights all exterior to brighter cleaner light?

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

The bizarre starting problem returns.

It always struggles to start an hour and a half to two hours after being shut down. Today, it caught and died when I backed off the key. Then fired on the second attempt.

It's not even a problem. Just an odd quirk.

Car backfired so hard, France surrendered to it.

Petrol from this fecky little place in Wexford seems to run like rocket fuel in it.

Likewise, think I gave an old lady a heart attack at the bus stop as I passed by and backfired on the overrun at 7.5k rpm. Think my cat might be on the way out...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, warpc0il said:

The poor starting and the backfire could be related, especially if the ignition coils are breaking down in the heat-soak following a run.

On D585's.

There's no consistency to it. But it's always an hour and a half, to 2 hours after shutdown after the gauge has dropped back off the bottom. Wonder if it's just taking time to get the fuel mix right or something. Never any trouble anywhere else.

D585's have been known to fail/breakdown when hot, that's becoming more common as more of these are being fitted and proving to be less bulletproof than expected.

That said, you might be right about the fuel mix.

Nearly all cars with an ECU suffer from this to a greater or lesser extent, as the intake air temperature is initially very high due to the heat soak and then drops massively, as the static air is eaten and replaced with cold air from outside.

Rotary engines are more sensitive to this as the engine bay tends to get hotter and the volume of air consumed is greater.

Basically the ECU is trying to balance the cold engine with (what it detects as) high IAT, when the IAT suddenly drops back down again.  Worse case this can cause the engine to stall, or try and stall, or at least make it unresponsive to the throttle for the first minute or so.

Even parking a car in the sun on a cold bright day can create the conditions to trigger this, though the impact might be too transitory to notice.

If your car has recently been much more susceptible to this and you can't explain it due to weather conditions, then you might have a problem with the IAT sensor, that's orange blob on the MAF sensor unit, or the ambient air temperature sensor.   If you plugin an ODB2 dongle (bluetooth for Android or WiFi for iOS) you can use Torque to monitor these in real time and see if the readings make sense.

AAT is also displayed on the dash if you press the AMB button. 

We did have one car that was playing-up at specific parts of a daily commute but okay at other times, which turned out to be the remains of a plastic bag that had got trapped behind the front bumper and was wrapped around the AAT sensor, insulating it from the chill of the outside air.

Edited by warpc0il
correct typo

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:44 PM, Rex Ruthor said:

It feckin stinks Chazz - supposed to be fantastic for cleaning though 

I mostly use Bilt Hamber products and find them very good. That wheel cleaner is brilliant stuff, but it does stink.

The surfex HD is great for cleaning down wheel arches, engine bay, and underfloor, just spray or brush it on, leave it for a few min and power wash off.

Their clay bars work a treat for getting tar and tree sap off.

they are not the cheapest but they are good, and they do some very good value bundles, either buy direct from them, or OPIE oils also sell their product.

If you don't want to buy from the UK the Detailing shed in Blanchardstown also stock it.

Just got my first  p0420, I have cleared it, will go back out in a bit and see if it comes back. Sportcat and seems to run A1, so not overly worried at the moment.

Edit: Seems to have gone for now :)

Edited by TheLedge
result

Started the wheels - hopefully will end up with polished lips and titanium grey spokes. 

So far I've learned that plastidip sucks arse and that there's a lot of sanding involved 

plastidip peeled off and stripper applied

Wheels

Mostly stripped

Wheels

First two runs on the lips and first rub down of the spokes

Wheels

Lips ready for polishing

Wheels

all shiny now! Rub down the spokes again now, mask up and etch primer, filler primer, flatten and start painting 

Wheels

Came within a whisker of overheating it in traffic.

Just caught the temperature gauge start to move off centre to the right in slow traffic outside belfast - after nearly 40 minutes of slow traffic at that. Popped windows and stuck the heater on full blast to bring it back.

Ended up taking a few minutes at lisburn to check if anything had blocked the radiator - seemed clear. Coolant bottle was very full....

Heh. Yeah. AC is cooking the engine.

Dropped nearly 6 degrees at idle just by turning it off. So much humidity in the air that it's just popping out of sensible cooling, condensing gallons of water from the air and dumping all that latent heat, let alone the air temperature.