Dartz

Petrol Stretching?

Has anybody been hearing anything about this in the news? Supposedly it involves blending straight petrol with, at times, up to 80% kerosene, then selling it on as ordinary petrol. It's been killing the engines in cars all across the midwest and the like, either through pre-ignition melting pistons or coating the guts of it in carbon deposits depending on how much kero' is in there.. http://www.independent.ie/life/motor...-30539815.html http://www.independent.ie/irish-news...-30585224.html www.autotrade.ie/index.php/petrol-stretching-crisis-more-than-500-engines-now-destroyed/16192 It's been going for a while, and it seems to be killing old and new cars. It's especially galling for the owners of newer cars because neither insurance or manufacturer is covering the cost of a new engine, if the whole thing dies. Customs and the Gardai seem to be doing nothing at all about it so people are left in the lurch since it's a 'Civil Matter' that's almost impossible to prove. And you'd think Customs would give a shit at least since it's undutied fuel making it out onto the road. The other, important question is what does this mean for rotary engines? At least the resulting repairs will be a little cheaper. Quotations of between 2 and 8 thousand have been floating around depending on what's broken.

It is mostly beside border towns and midlands.If the price is cheap then its to good to be truth.Im using same petrol station since 7years (was shell,now topaz) .No issues.Just dont buy from small, no name petrol stations and should be fine. I work for car rental company and It happened 3 times recently with 132 and 141 reg.3 yanks put petrol somewhere in Longford,Cavan and Donegal.Car would not start after 70 miles and engines where wrecked when stripped in our garage.We have even got leaflefts for client to buy petrol from ''big names''

A garage in Mayo i heard today had in total of 4 recently fall victim to this. Engines dead. And there is a service station not 20 mile from me that sells solids fuels etc, selling petrol pretty cheap, so borrowed time there for more victims.:-( Scary stuff alright.

Hi ,sorry for butting in, seen your conversation on google, well I'd like to say as a victim to this petrol stretching myself it is rampant here in mayo, I've had my 2 cars damaged.one which I only bought 3 months ago, the garage I exclusively bought my petrol from for the past 7 years is responsible for it and for approx 40 more cars in my small town. They garages refuses to talk to us, and a sample from a motor bike has been tested and come back positive for kerosene , unfortunately it's not the only garage in the west,there are at least 2 others in mayo and a few in Roscommon and Galway, some garages have very strong connections . I'd like to point out also the garages in question are not small garages on a back road with no branding ,they are some very big branded garages that have been around for years and years.their petrol is no cheaper than any others maybe a cent in the difference . So don't be fooled, my cars are both still with the mechanics (3 weeks now) and because they are inundated with cars at present it could be weeks before they get to mine .there is a page set up on face book called petrol stretching victims Ireland which I'd appreciate if you could pass on to your friends ,it could happen to anyone. By the way the petrol that caused the damage to my cars was bought back in June/July ,it took over a month to show the effects:-/