Sign in to follow this  
Carlan450

The project that swallows my rx7 money

So since work has physically begun i guess i should start this build thread. Back in 2009 I inherited my golf from my dad, a standard gt tfsi 1.4 turbo. 39057_1549991107219_1158335698_1574418_2962038_n_zps10d03b91.jpg I initially made a few light modifications: Cat back milltek exhaust Custom remap by Joe Power K&N intake Gti side skirts and rear bumper R32 spoiler Votex front splitter Alpine head unit. Last year I finally decided to turn the car into the gti that my dad had always wanted. However I wanted to put my own twist to it and as i'm powerhungry it wasn't gona just be a standard gti. So to start I went and bought myself a crashed 06 gti with manual AXX engine. To get the power I wanted i needed to start ordering parts: DSCF0002_zpsf7867971.jpg CTS GTX3071R turbo kit CTS 600bhp Intercooler Clutchmasters fx400 6 puck clutch and steel fly wheel S3 injectors high pressure fuel pump upgrade kit Integrated engineering rifel drilled conrods JE Forged pistons 9.5:1 compression Ferrera valves and valve springs BSH engine and gearbox mounts ARP head bolts and studs Layered steel compression dropping head gasket Wavetrak LSD Calico coated shell bearings Newsouth performance, boost, oil temp, oil pressure gauges S3 rail sensor S3 MAP sensor The first task of removing the engine was completed. To begin the chassis leg had been bent around the front of the engine so this needed to be straightened.

(japs gotta have some use) once this was done brought it in and stripped out the engine: DSCF0115_zps8a1f72ca.jpgDSCF0116_zps102cfc9d.jpgDSCF0117_zps2cff9f63.jpg The turbo is just slightly smaller than the Garrett haha.DSCF0118_zpsf3429111.jpg Next stage is to strip the engine and figure out the remaining parts needed

Right so the build has been flying along here are some pics: Checking big-n clearances with plastigauge great stuff. null_zps36e8c633.jpgnull_zps74d009dd.jpg Pistons ready to go in after adjusting ring clearances null_zps5eecc928.jpg In and torqued: null_zps0d638760.jpg Head building null_zpsd0648b10.jpg Block ready for head null_zpsc11edaff.jpg Went to put in exhaust cam and rockers but all badly corroded and pitted so order in for new ones. photo_zpse1a39c24.jpg So got the sump on and manifold. So decided to see how the turbo would look. null_zps376677dd.jpg So with a delay due to the variable valve timing unit not wanting to be removed and collecting a few parts I have now made some progress. Waste gate fitted. Oil return pipe made up. Valve timing unit on. Just need to spend some time figuring out the rest of the Cts turbo kit null_zpsda3d399b.jpg Update time: so I've got the engine together and timed up. Got a nice little rs4 part in the post, fuel return valve. Awaiting new oil cooler before I complete plumbing and wiring. Also awaiting alternator belt. null_zps0c6f64bc.jpgnull_zpsc130e983.jpg Next steps: Oil cooler on Alternator on Finish connecting loom. Cut pipes for diverter valve to size. Mount the gearbox

I am currently rebuilding the 4wd system that I got for the car, once that is done it will be time to start merging everything together. I know its not rotary but figured at least some of you guys might appreciate the build.

Thanks guys it has been taking its time but should be worth it in the end, slightly sleeper :)

Awesome build! :) And everyone loves a stack of shiny new parts... Well' date=' it gets me excited anyway!! :D:D[/quote'] When that shipment in the picture arrived i was like a child on xmas morning it was altogether too exciting haha

I know what you mean - I got excited over 2 box-loads of service items that arrived the other week including fluids, filters, gaskets etc! Love it!! :biggrin::biggrin::tup: