Sign in to follow this  
MCON

What's your Daily Driver?

So after having driven the rx7 as my daily for a little over a year, I decided a more sensible daily driver was needed. Looked at a few different cars but eventually ended up with a mk2 focus st in orange haha. Very difficult to find a car that doesn't feel awful after driving the rx. What do others daily drive when there rx is non-operational or not practical? 20140607_210757_zpsb5022dd7.jpg

Hi Mike,funny you should mention it but I'm looking at 3 series coupes at the mo.Spotted a beauty on done deal,she's up north,2L M sport.Been using the RX as a daily since I got her but after I get done with her as regards a new body kit ( should be here in the next few weeks) new alloys,coilovers ect ect I plan to just use her as a weekender and use the Beemer as a daily..I'm a ways off getting the second car yet tho because i want to get the R3 finished first.You can have a tasty 3 series coupe for circa 6K which is not bad money (04 or 05) also depends on the insurance,I'm with liberty at the mo and they won't mirror my NCB so ill prob move to axa because they will

Alfa 159 diesel is my daily. Comfy and decent go for a diesel but tough to sit into after the RX. Cousin just bought a GT86 as a daily! Cobsidering changing my daily and funnily enough an ST was considered!

If you want to try mine, you can. Some interesting daily drivers so far, the defender is pretty cool. Used to work with someone who done a bit of offroading in his and drove it to work nearly everyday as well.

If you want to try mine, you can. Some interesting daily drivers so far, the defender is pretty cool. Used to work with someone who done a bit of offroading in his and drove it to work nearly everyday as well.
Yeah there not for everyone... I do about 800 miles a week in it! tough going when it doesn't like being pushed over 100kph. Keep her serviced and greased up and you will have no surprises with them though. If anything does go wrong with it, a good thump of a hammer will get you out of most situations :)

As my daily I drive a Toyota Corolla 1.4D-4D. Super little car, do crazy miles in it. And then I have the Evo aswell. She gets me around to where ever I want to go either.

post-1020-14122055913_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141220559161_thumb.jpg

post-1020-14122055919_thumb.jpg

post-1020-141220559257_thumb.jpg

@Dartz - I do not envy you on taking the train. I did it for 1.5 years to work and it made me miserable. I would be on an earlier train, stuffed and crammed. I don't mind standing, but the over capacity was insane. Poeple fainting and passing out. Anyway, glad that's behind me and to answer the Q my daily is my 8 :) She sure is thirsty.

I did the train thing for a year, not fun. It was actually 5min walk, bus for 45ish, 5min walk, dart from town to Blackrock(time varied, a lot), then another 5min walk. Hell. Spent almost 2 years commuting in the 7. I reckon I should have just bought shares in Esso. Also, the gf kept being later getting ready each day, so I had to go quicker...... ok, it wasn't all bad. Set some pretty damn quick times to Galway city. Current daily is the RVR. Evo 6 lump in a sleeper is always a recipe for fun :)

Yeah. Relying on any sort of connections with public transport is a nightmare. Especially ones involving buses. They tend to arrive just in time to see your train leave. I used it for a bit, mind. Morning traffic causes the fuel 'economy' to drop to something like 17L/100km. (ow). It's normally between 11 and 13 depending on what I'm doing.... Still cheaper than a rail ticket for the distance (mad), but I don't think the 8's too happy in crawling morning traffic, so I try to avoid doing it if I can.

but I don't think the 8's too happy in crawling morning traffic
Or free flowing traffic Or M50 slow and/or fast moving traffic :P I'm just nit picking. At the very least the 8 is nicest sounding car in most traffic situations :D

I've got a Toyota Starlet. The 8 gets preference on the drive way so it's out on the road, spots of rust and scrapes from the cun*s of kids rubbin' off it. Hand prints all over it (no idea where they came from). But I need something I can throw around the place for work that I can do alot of short distance stopping and starting. Not a fan of it, but I cant complain, got it for free! Cost me a fortune though! Have another Mazda on the way, currently on a lift getting sorted for an NCT retest. A '98 323f, apparently a jap import. Picked it up for peanuts!

One of those saved my oulfella's life. (Or was it the predecessor?) Was the designated driver one night leaving a pub in Dunboyne when some drunken spanner entered the village at 60mph or so and obliterated the car. Like - bent it in the middle like a boomerang. He didn't exactly walk away - taking a shattered hip out of it - but the three other in the car did enough to buy him a brandy to dull the pain while waiting for the ambulance to come with the breathalyser - despite him being stone cold sober.

And it will go FOR.EVER. Great car.
Wouldn't hold out on it. One of the fails for the test was a corroded shock. Turns out it's gotten into the arch, bills look at 450 for that. Plus 1200 for the work for the test (4 shocks, brake lines etc). She's lookin' at costing me 2k. Trying to justify it at the moment...