Sign in to follow this  
CJ

A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary

I helped set this site up 7 years ago and at one point, I was pretty active in the community. In more recent times, I have been unable to give Irish Rotary the attention it deserves due to various 'offline' commitments. I want to encourage discussion centred around the future of this community, and more importantly, propose that a new person or team of people step in to take over the reigns. While this is a relatively small site, I believe that it could be much more in the hands of a committed and enthusiastic group. To that end, I want to open the discussion up to you - the members - in an effort to generate ideas on how the community should be maintained and developed into the future. My own thoughts on how this might work are: Open it up for discussion Get feedback Pull together a small group / steering committee to review feedback and come up with a future vision and plan Enact the plan There is another alternative: we leave as is. I'll let the discussion run for a couple of weeks and see what comes back.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary CJ, just thought I'd give this a bump for ya. Might be an idea to give lads an outline of what's involved in running the site at the moment so they know what they might be taking on. Personally I think it's working fine and a site like this is mostly about function, not sure it needs to be all singing and dancing or anything. However if you need help with workload then I'm sure there's a few lads who could help out, possibly myself included depending on time demands.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Hi cj,its a good site with alot of good info on here for noobs and experienced owners alike but the one downside for me is that its awfully quiet on here alot of the time.Now I know there's a small rotary community in Ireland compared with the UKOC but its just a pity there's not more activity and interaction on here.I don't really know how you could improve this but it would be great if there was alot on interaction with the members on a daily basis instead of people posting something and sometimes not even getting a reply.Maybe a way of getting more people involved is to introduce a chat room on here kinda like the way you chat on Facebook where your chatting in real time as opposed to comments being posted on threads days later or even not at all.if other members have other suggestions on how we could attract more people on here than I'm all ears!!

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Hi cj think this forum is fine.I check it nearly every night and enjoy what the lads are posting.Nice to see some guys have the odd interest like me gym etc.Have to say it can be quiet.I know who is going to be on here before i turn on my laptop its always the same ten guys and i think only for them night night . My take on it is exsposure to get more members.It will be hard work but thats all it is a bit of hard work with nothing to lose. Sell ourselves and the cars [not litterely of course]. Midway could help.Everybody do there bit try to get as many people as possible to go in there location.They will go see the great cars meet the frendly and passionate owners. More flyers on how to buy a good one cheap and how easy these cars are to maintain and with the help of the forum at your finger tips at any time or day.Just a thought nearly didnt buy my 8 cause i wasnt happy with some of the information i was getting.Anyway im sure we could rob some ideas of the other forums to get more members :wink:

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Hi CJ, It sounds like you have your hands tied. Obviously you have some vested interested in it in the form of the history you have made with the site and other. An all round thank you for facilitating the discussions etc. Personally, I visit everyday and I've benfitted greatly. I guess the real question is wether you are willing to continue this on in its current state. i.e. you assume the same role and responsibility. I would understand that if it was at a point where you feel you no longer want or can continue the administrative / management role of the website, then obviously we, as the interested memebers should try harder to come up with a solution so everybody is happy and the site can either continue as is with a new admin, or something else happens to take it in a different direction. What are your thoughts on that CJ? I believe if you offer the option of continuing on as is then nobody will come up with a diff solution, however if you said that you no longer wanted to be admin/owner then somebody might step up or something? p.s. from a feedback perspective i think you've done a great job and the forums serves its purpose very well. yes it isn't as active as UK or USA, but that's indicitive of the population and volume of rotaries in the country who belong to people who are going to want to join in on this type of thing. I know reference was made to the UK rx8 owners club. It's very hard to compare this to that and to try replicate it. That is a specific forum for the 8s with a specific business and owners club model with a lot of current and potential members and markets. People there are paying money, essentially for a product and theres infrastructure behind that. I personally believe that would never be feasible here as we may have missed the boat now that we don't even have a new rotary in site from mazda :smt073 :smt089 :smt089

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Hi cj,I suspect part of the reason for this thread is probably because you feel that all the efforts you put in is pretty fruitless because of the inactivity on the site.Thats fair enough because if it was me Id feel the same way if I'm honest.I still feel there's plenty of scope to get the word out there so as to attract more people on here.Before I joined I never even knew about it and it was purely accidental that I happened to stumble across it.As stated previously the rotary community is not huge in Ireland but surely between the south and the north we are talking many thousands and even if 10pc were active members on here then the experience for people on here would be far better because more people would be on here. Maybe an ad campaign to get the message of the club out there is what's needed.I know this would take money but I'm sure we could muster up the cost of it between the member on here serious about entertaining such an idea.Its a great site for potential rotary owners aswell and I'm sure if such people knew of this site they could garnish info from here to help them with any potential purchase and become active members on here.Its exactly what I did before I bought mine and I'm pretty confident in saying this but I wouldn't have bought a rotary if it wasn't for the info I got on here.I seriously think the only way to increase the activity on here is to get the word out via the press.Surely an ad in a national paper is not hugely expensive and as regards social media well that's largely free.Id hate to see the site go under due to lack of interest and inactivity so if we can gather momentum from enthuastic members on here I'm pretty sure we can attract more members and make the site bigger and better Ian

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Hi Ian i think you have some very positive thoughts and ideas. I can also see you have a good passion for it too. I guess CJ's initiation of this dicussion is not a 'how to increase volumes / traffic' to the site, but more of a strategic plan for the future in terms continiuity. More memebers would be great, same with activity. But I don't think it's addressing why CJ started this thread. The message I get from CJ is that he's carried the reigns for 7 years and if there is somebody there to take the reigns, but to also take it in a good direction with the help of a team, then he'd consider such an idea, and if it was successful he may step back? CJ, correct me if i'm wrong. So again, while more members would be great, it's not addressing the continuity of the site from his end.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary I get what your saying ger and to be fair they are all good points,but my points regarding increased activity on here is inextricably linked to the continuation of the site.Its quiet enough on here as it is and if there's not an increase in membership and activity on here than as a consequence the site is just going to die.I sense CJ is probably getting frustrated at all the work that he is putting in only to get very little feedback from members on here,correct me if I'm wrong CJ but your probably feeling that you are carrying the site pretty much all by yourself and your probably starting to think is it worth it anymore. IMO things need to happen on here to make it a better place to visit.Things like meets on a regular basis perhaps monthly with one BIG meet ala midway towards the end of every year.In terms of paying for advertising why couldn't we have a small charge for every car that turns up at the meets say €5 and put this solely towards getting the word of he site out there in the public domain.theres alot that could be done on the site itself,why not have a oil sticky for noobs like they have on the UKOC?its a brilliant thread and very informative and ally's any fears new owners have as regards the correct oil to use.Why not have a ask the specalist section on here?Maybe get Eddie Doyle involved or rotor head or the real podge to come on here once a week and make themselves available to answer questions from members.Say an hour a week at a time that suits them obviously!! I'm really enthuastic and passionate about rotaries and rotary ownership and I'm sure there's many many other owners around the country who are just as passionate to get involved on here but don't even know it exists!! IMO its all about getting the message out there and in this day and age it's not a hard thing to do,and if CJ needs help on here then I'm sure a few of us could chip in myself included.Just HOLA CJ!! Ok peace out!! Ian

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary I 100% agree that both member retention and the acquisition of news members is important for the site for continuity and IF the 'steering committee' or equivalent want to peruse new members. What I am just highlighting that CJ is obviously reaching out to the members on a 'bigger picture' level to establish an organisational structure for the website going forward. As highlighted by him, this is either continuing in current state, or establishing a committee to govern and control the website. I believe what you are talking about (growth and improvements) would be a subsequent or onset occurrence when that group is formed TBH, I don't see increasing member volumes being a fundamental factor in wether this website stays. I would imagine that the average active members HAS declined since the height of the rx8, but equally over those years it'd be interesting to see what effect those stats had on posts etc. That said this website could technically be kept going with only one individual, the question is who governs it. I believe that is what is being asked by CJ. He's offering an opportunity to change how that happens by potentially establishing the group OR just continuing as is. I don't believe his message was that he was fed up not having a return. CJ, correct me if I'm wrong but the impression I get is that you probably want to move it on. You've done your bit, a good job at that, so now is time for somebody (or multiple) to take it in their direction it there is a body of people willing to do it. And just so I'm clear Ian, I'm not disagreeing with your ideas. They are all spot on. Perhaps you should be on the new committee :)

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Good points Ger all well made :wink: I think maybe it could be a combination of your points and mine as regards CJ.Maybe he wants to move aside and let someone else have a go but part of his reason for wanting to do so might be he's just a bit frustrated at a lot of effort for very little reward.Guess the only person that know is the man himself........YO CJ!!!!!

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Been a while since I've been on, so busy with other distractions - one of the main reasons I started this thread! Great comments guys and good feedback, in brief, the following statements are spot on and pretty much reflect where I'm at:

TBH, I don't see increasing member volumes being a fundamental factor in wether this website stays. I would imagine that the average active members HAS declined since the height of the rx8, but equally over those years it'd be interesting to see what effect those stats had on posts etc. That said this website could technically be kept going with only one individual, the question is who governs it. I believe that is what is being asked by CJ. He's offering an opportunity to change how that happens by potentially establishing the group OR just continuing as is. I don't believe his message was that he was fed up not having a return. CJ, correct me if I'm wrong but the impression I get is that you probably want to move it on. You've done your bit, a good job at that, so now is time for somebody (or multiple) to take it in their direction it there is a body of people willing to do it.
I don't have the bandwidth / time / inclination to continue to 'admin' the site (I use the term loosely because theres not much administrative effort, to be fair). So I can do one of 2 things: - leave as is and stop by every so often, no real change - step away and hand over the reigns For the former to work, I need another site admin (not a moderator) who is comfortable with learning web forum config and in the ins and outs of user admin, thread and topic admin and the like (basically, reading a manual). For the latter to work, it needs to be handed off to someone or a group with a vested interest in maintaining the future of a community. Option 1 can happen right away if theres the right level of interest. Option 2 probably needs a bit more effort / coordination Option 3 (and I'm playing devils advocate here) is the site gets locked and used as a reference point, everyone moves over to Facebook. Food for thought....

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary I don't think any of us want option 3. Perhaps the best plan would be to go for option 1 with a view to gradually transitioning to option 2 over time? As a software developer I'd be qualified to help out on the technical side. I've held off volunteering 'till now as I'm pretty busy these days and will be even more so over the next month or so, but after that I could probably lend a hand. As for an actual replacement Admin/Community Coordinator type person, at the risk of putting him on the spot, I think R26B would make a great candidate for obvious reasons.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary I'd be more than happy to take over the technical side. As a group setup i think it would be best. There are a few changes that id love to see. 1) Instead of a splash page have a blog or news feed. this would help promote upcoming events or basically anything of interest to the community. 2) Have the forum integrated to one of the Android or IOS apps like Tapatalk. this makes for quicker responses for threads your watching while on the go. 3) Maybe create a section for mx5 owners. while not a rotary they do fall under the Mazda umbrella and remain quite a good following for the meets. the added footfall on the site would definitely help. 4) Ask members for a voluntary donation per year. they get a "supporting member" status on their profile. I have to ask CJ, are you looking to sell the site or do you intend to just pass the maintenance over? Jamie

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary

I'd be more than happy to take over the technical side. As a group setup i think it would be best. There are a few changes that id love to see. 1) Instead of a splash page have a blog or news feed. this would help promote upcoming events or basically anything of interest to the community. 2) Have the forum integrated to one of the Android or IOS apps like Tapatalk. this makes for quicker responses for threads your watching while on the go. 3) Maybe create a section for mx5 owners. while not a rotary they do fall under the Mazda umbrella and remain quite a good following for the meets. the added footfall on the site would definitely help. 4) Ask members for a voluntary donation per year. they get a "supporting member" status on their profile. I have to ask CJ, are you looking to sell the site or do you intend to just pass the maintenance over? Jamie
Nice post dude, efo some good thunkin goin on there :smt023

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary I'd hate to see option 3. There seems to be a good few folk on here in the tech industry, myself included, so maybe handing over to a group might work. I'd be happy to lend a hand, too. And +1 on everything littlefeck proposed.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary What littlefeck proposes is 100% something I'd see as a step forward. I'd love to see this. i'd offer assistance but I wouldn't have the know-how in terms of how to apply it. If you feel there are any roles that feed into this, I'd be happy to see if I could fulfill it.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Thanks guys. I would hate to see the community dissapear. Ive been to a good few car gatherings but I really admire how mature the rotary scene is in ireland. Everyone remains so helpful and no one looks down on anybody no matter how their car looks. There is no snobbery between owners. Were all just glad to see another rotary on the road. Small as it may be there are many sound people passing through these pages (both men and women). I would be more than happy to give up a portion of my time to assure the community survives. Jamie

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Well said jamie good points man.I couldnt agree more with what you said about people being helpful and just wanting to see these great cars on the road of Ireland.All the great work being done by people like Eddy and Podge ect only helps to that end.Id hate to think how many rotaries would be left on irish roads if it was'nt for guys like these. id also be happy to help out what ever direction the site may go.Im sure if we all pitch in the OC will go from strength to strength :wink:

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary As I think about it more. Depending on excactly cj wants, id be happy to take over as site admin/owner along with the finacial implications. I think a small group from the site (myself included) should be responsible for the direction and content. I put my foot forward for this but there are many suited people on here that im sure would also step up if asked of them. Ian, the work you put in for midway is proof you have what it takes along with the desire to see the community survive.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Good stuff Jamie, that's very well put and fair play for putting yourself forward. You have my backing. CJ, I recommend putting some sort of notice out to the community (either by email or banner) to let people know about this. Look at the attention the midway thread got when people knew about it. i think more input is needed here. At the very least if we can get some continuity of the site and pass the reigns on from CJ, we will have at least helped CJ out in thanks of his efforts and ensured we can continue to post here. Then we could move forward from there and it would be up to the new site admin to do that + the group of nominees

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary All good stuff being said above. Delighted to see there's skills available to the club and being offered. I will help out if I can but don't have the tech smarts mentioned above. I agree Ger, needs to be brought to the attention of the IROC community as a whole (this thread was fairly idle at the start) before anything is decided but I can't imagine there being to many objections to any plan that sees the great community created here continuing and growing.

Re: A discussion on the Future of Irish Rotary Ok i decided to give the old blog idea a bit of a spin, Very much a work in progress and the layout will change quite a lot. As this is only a test, im hosting this from my house so dont get mad if the pages are slow. If anyone would like to be down as a contributer with a login to add your own posts to the blog then just register on the site and ill send you a password later on. Remember this is just a trial to see if we the community can make it work, http://www.littlefeck.com regards jamie oh yeah feedback would be great on this one, along with any suggestions. Edit: new users will not get an email staight away with the way i have it set up. any request i will send out new passwords this evening at the latest.