• WEB
    • ALO
    • MAS
    • BUT
    • PER
    • GRO
    • ROS
    • HAM

Re: F1 2013 great drivers dont need all that tech,obviously im not talking about whipping ALL the tech off a car otherwise they'd be driving a bath tub but stuff like KERS, DRS and all that badness.Btw i aint looking back with rose tinted glasses just because its the passage of time,20 years from now i wont be looking back at the current situ with rose tinted glasses either just because its 20 years on.I just believe in pure driving without the need for massive amounts of tech,let the drivers drive!!

Re: F1 2013 But do you not think it is negated by the fact that all the drivers have it? It's not like we're saying it's the olympics and the guys who win take steroids... in this case all the cars are on steroids. Pure driving / pure racing; The first man to cross the line being the fastest man in the fastest car. If you took DRS and KERS out of it, VET still would have won that GP. He is the most efficient driver (if you study his style) in an aerodynamically sound car. 20 years ago the technology wasn't used because ti didn't exist, not because the racing was anymore 'pure'...

Re: F1 2013 So it shouldn't matter that the technology is there then... It's a double point. F1 is the pinnacle of motorsport and known for innovation. Always has and will be. That is no different to the era you felt was the better, in fact it's no different to when Fangio was winning GPs.... It just so happened that KERS wasn't developed for either of those eras. In fact, we could be having this conversation this time 25 years ago giving out about turbo charging the cars saying "the engines shouldn't boost themselves", it's up to the driver to take a straight engine and drive flat out. We are in the now...

Re: F1 2013 theres always gonna be arguments for and against too much technology in F1,no doubt these arguments raged in every "era" since the sport began and will continue to do so.It just boils down to which camp your in,one thing i can tell you is that IMO F1 has become a boring sport that i dont really watch anymore and havent done so since about 5 years ago.ill watch the odd race if i happen to stumble across it but apart from that its not something ill look for anymore. Big reason for that is since the introduction of big amounts of tech on the cars its just become a utterly boring procession of drabness.Overtaking is as rare as tits on a fish and when it does happen 99pc of the time its on a straight....why? technology!!

Re: F1 2013 I think if you look at the stats Ian you'll find overtake numbers are actually higher since the introduction of DRS and softer compound types vs the birdgstone era which was more than 5 years ago. Back when you would have watched it. You've said you don't watch it much now so you can't really say overtaking is rare when there is plenty of it.... just not for P1 cause VET runs away with it. Sure Senna left Mclaren for williams because the introduced innovations in suspension etc. He always said he loved winning and wanted the best car which has always been the best developed car. So he went from the powerful turbo technology to the driver aids williams gave..... Sure the only reason BUT won his WC was cause they used the double diffuser that the other teams try to ban. There's always been as much technology in an F1 car that has been available / possible at any given time. The name of the game hasn't changed. Only the regulations behind them have. It just so happens that in 2013 KERS is feasible whereas it wasn't 20 years ago. Only for it wasn't, they would have used it. I mean I certainly won't argue with anyone who think it's boring as that's a matter of opinion. But its misleading to think there's "too much technology" e.g. driver aids when there's always been the most amount available to a driver in every car bar regulations.

Re: F1 2013 5 years ago f1 was just as you described Ian, but since pirelli has taken over it really has come alive. I've been watching for 20 years now And while I'd agree that the early 90s was much better than the 00s I really cant tcan't remember a time that the on track action was better than last year. This year hasn't been too bad either although I think it has gone downhill since they toughened up the tyres.

Re: F1 2013 Ger we could argue the merits of tech on cars for eternity citing whatever points we feel valid regarding both arguments but the fact is we're both firmly entrenched in our opinions and as they say....that be that!! :wink: one thing i will say is just because i dont watch it much anymore doesnt mean im any less informed about it,you'll never convince me that its become nothing more than a bore to watch and even when i do watch a race i find myself reaching for the remote and looking for something else Trust me im not alone on that,ive alot of friends who are serious petrol heads and they are of the same opinion.They prefer the racing of yester-year to what its become today....general consensus is its down to too much technology destroying the cars and making the racing far less dramatic than what it used to be.I know your gonna say its the here and now ect and it is what it is but for me the "it is what it is" shout is a long way short of "it was what it was" :D

Re: F1 2013 I was never trying to convince you otherwise of your opinion in thinking it was boring. I made that quite clear. My point is addressing the sweeping statement of "there's too much technology" (i don't even know what that means considering the main variable in F1 IS technolog) and that F1 has always had the most amount of technology and advanced engineering it could have had at any point in time, meaning that the technological / engineering potentials of these cars equal that of the cars of 20 years ago. Only now, much more is available to apply to the car. I don't know how motorsport fans can so blankly disregard the current format when in theory it's no different to a previous format. Even back then schuey won 5 straight WCs when Ferrari absolutely dominated the way Red Bull do now. I wonder if we both grew up in the 70s watching it would we be arguing if it was ridiculous or not to turbo charge engines. I can imagine that i'd be in the boat of, "it's a great idea" whereas people would otherwise think it's obsurd to introduce such an alien piece of technology and engineering that artificially propells the car past what the powertrain is intended to do.... Formula 1 is making more money than ever. It's expanding into markets which were thought to be unpenetratable many years ago. To the point that many classic European races will be left behind. Obviously the consensus between you and your friends is very localised to your group (and others of course), but the world is moving onwards now.... Make no mistake about, I share many of your annoyances of the current cycle of regulations which have produced a similar race winner each time out, but I don't for one second believe KERS or DRS is the cause. It's the ability of one team (particularly an aerodynamicist) and one driver being the perfect combination in exploiting the current set of regulations. The day I think F1 has 'too much technology' is the day i've started to misunderstand one of the reasons F1 is the pinnacle motorsport in the world.

Re: F1 2013 didnt mean that you personally were trying to convince me of anything,its just a figure of speech,like i said you've your thoughts and opinions as have i lets just leave it at that or this thread will run in to an obscene amount of pages....over and out!! :wink:

Re: F1 2013 Well, for what it's worth, the new regulations for 2014 are set to shape things up big time with the 1.6 V6 Turbo engines. Adrian Newey has even threatened to leave as he believes it will become an engine-dominated formula and not specifically aeros. There's a few hints knocking around too around it all too as Merc have invested a LOT of money into it and it's said to be demanding a wider tyre base to handle the power of the new engines whereas Ferrari who are apparently not outputting as much power want narrower tyres. Driver styles will be expected to change too as now it's all about cornering speeds and thats where VET shines. Next year it'll be about powering OUT of a corner and keeping control of the boost :D :D :D :D. Alot of emphasis now is placed on how drivers enter corners with speed and slow down on braking, controlling under/oversteer. Can't wait!!!

Re: F1 2013 Always good to watch a 7, no doubt. GP2 race series is great too. They've a pretty decent format with the race quali and then all the chassis are the same (AFAIK). That's always a good watch as it's a sprint race. Flat out driving...