We're Back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
CJ

FC classic insurance?

I note that a number of the members over @ MX5 Ireland are availing of classic insurance with the likes of Axa and FBD on >20 year old MX-5s, are any FC owners following the same route out of interest?

Re: FC classic insurance? You can get classic insurance on anything over 15 years old now CJ, the likes of FDs & 200SXs & all that are now falling under that category. Do a search (on here possibly, can't remember or) on Octane where I remember examples were given & discussed.

Re: FC classic insurance? I tried this route with the FD through 123 and my Broker (first Ireland) both said they wouldn't entertain the FD as a classic and shed a 92 model. Mind u I didn't look any further than the two companies above. U might have better luck elsewhere

Re: FC classic insurance? As I understand it, you need to be a member of an accredited classic or vintage club and use the car as a second driver i.e. pre-existing policy on a daily driver. Axa certainly offer classic insurance and it can be got through First Ireland. Ducman, on what basis were you refused classic insurance on the FD? I'd be interested to hear how others get on, especially those of you with 91/92 FDs and FCs.

Re: FC classic insurance? Ive a 93 FD, and next year I recon ill have no problems getting classic insurance. It needs to be a second car as CJ pointed out. Many people are doing this for Mx5s and the like already

Re: FC classic insurance? I just happened to be trolling through the FC section and noticed this. Thought I could add my 2 cents to it. My uncle is part of the Connacht Vintage club and from my understanding the car does indeed have to be 20 years old, but depending how friendly/how much business you have with them, you might manage toreduce how old it is. But that's only goin by his insurance company. The car also has to be your 2nd car (or 3rd, or 4th), so it's only added onto your original policy, but I think it's only about €50 extra, but I could try to find out more particulars from him if interested?

Re: FC classic insurance? I only called them the other day for my fc. Still waiting to hear back from them as the guy wasn't sure if they insured them classic. Think he was too busy trying to eat his lunch :x That would suit me perfect!

Re: FC classic insurance? Cheers I'm 24 and would only be driving it the odd time. He asked if I had another car and policy too so I wouldn't be cheating the system They will be getting another call Monday

Re: FC classic insurance? Just a little update on my situation. I rang many many many many.....many many companies. Most said "it has to be 25 years old" or "you have to be over 25" or "you need a full no claims bonus" My car is 22 years old. I'm 24 And only have 2 years no claims (I was a named driver for 5 years) Quotes I got were €504 from Carole Nash. Limited to 2000miles a year. Fully comp Got another quote from Campion insurance. €220. 5000 miles limit. BUT only third party The third party suits me fine cos I will have it alarmed (and a few extra security tricks) and it is left in an alarmed garage full time. Just means I will have to take it easy with traffic around ;)

Re: FC classic insurance? I rang around every were most people wouldn't insure me on it saying they don't cover cars over 20 years first Ireland wanted €1400 third party with a €3000 excess I got a quote of campion for my FC €599 fully comp 5000 miles limit but I have six years no claims happy days and I'm in the process of filling out the form to change my tax to 1.3 :D

Re: FC classic insurance?

I rang around every were most people wouldn't insure me on it saying they don't cover cars over 20 years first Ireland wanted €1400 third party with a €3000 excess I got a quote of campion for my FC €599 fully comp 5000 miles limit but I have six years no claims happy days and I'm in the process of filling out the form to change my tax to 1.3 :D
SNAP I'm waiting nearly a week for my forms to arrive tho....I'll be calling tomorrow if they ain't here

Re: FC classic insurance? Didn't get the forms in the post.... So I called them back and was transfarred to the classic department Was talking to the same guy who I was dealing with last week. Said I never received the forms in the post. He checked the system and nothing was done and asked could I go through the details again to resend it. Gave him my date of birth and he said "oh it's 25 and over only" I nearly jumped through the phone. He could have said they last week in the first place I'll be gettin my mother to insure it and I can drive it third party under my daily insurance as the cover is third party only anyway

Re: FC classic insurance?

Didn't get the forms in the post.... So I called them back and was transfarred to the classic department Was talking to the same guy who I was dealing with last week. Said I never received the forms in the post. He checked the system and nothing was done and asked could I go through the details again to resend it. Gave him my date of birth and he said "oh it's 25 and over only" I nearly jumped through the phone. He could have said they last week in the first place I'll be gettin my mother to insure it and I can drive it third party under my daily insurance as the cover is third party only anyway
:smt005 haha. I'm waiting to hear from them this week

Re: FC classic insurance? Mines €230 Axa are dirt cheap if you have and daily driver with them Then the classic policy doesn't really matter cos you can only have one car on the road anyway