Sign in to follow this  
03rx8

2003 RX8 Issue- P0301 Cylinder 1 Misifre

Hi Everyone, I've got my rx8 about a year now and in that time my CAT went so when it did go i got a de-cat and i also got new plugs, leads and coils and gave her a service too for peace of mind. I noticed when driving the car 4-5 few weeks that i get a loss of power at 6500-7000 sometimes a bit higher in the revs but it only happened rarely so i chose to ignore!! Last week though i got a flashing ECL(Engine Check Light) and the noise and power loss happens everytime i get to this point in the revs. I've done a bit of research and sounds like it could be "misfiring", Exhaust related(EGR valve or lambda) or something fuel related(Maybe pump or Injectors) from what i've read and seen on youtube. I know this is still vague so i'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction? The car pulls as it should though until it hits this point. Just wondering if anyone can shed any light on this or offer any advice as I'm unsure of next course of action?? Has anyone had this before themselves?I'm totally unsure of what the problem could be or even what misfiring is if it is that? Anyway lads any help is very appreciated and thanks in advance.

Hi 03rx8, I'd suggest you find out what error code the ECU is throwing up whenever the ECL comes on, it should tell you what sensor is involved or what's happening with the engine. I wouldn't suggest driving it hard up/past that point until you've at least figured out what's wrong & how to remedy it. You don't want what could be a simple job turning into a more expensive one... ;-)

P0301 Just had it checked out by a friend of mine(Who isn't a rotary mechanic) and it gave a code P0301- Cylinder 1 misfire detected, bad bad news i take it?? we changed coils, plugs and leads and still the same. Sounds like a tractor now when started! Also cleaned the Air flow meter and checked fuel pump was okay still no joy! So what does this mean exactly, time to rebuild or could it be something else? Any ideas lads? Anyone been in this situation before? thanks

A compression-test will help eliminate/confirm a few possibilities anyway. Do a Google search on what that code means specifically for the RX8 & see what alternative views there are on what it could be (ignoring a rebuild cause it's down on compression as that's the obvious one). Were the coils/plugs/leads all new or did the changing of them end with the car sounding like a tractor?

Hi Everyone :) Did you find the problem? My car runs like this..but under 3500rpm..He has a new engine become, the mechanicer has changed 2 coils and 4 spark plugs. Idle is not to good, and the car sometimes stops in idling.  Under 3500 rpm stops the first rotor for one second, or cought and goes on... I don't understand