We're Back! Read more... ×
CJ

RX-8 Technical Service Bulletins

Links don't seem to be working again, however if you search online you can see various recalls, airbags, oil cooler hoses, fuel pumps, software updates to reduce flooding etc. You can ask the Irish dealer if all known recalls have been completed.

-------------------------------

There was a recall in 2008 in relation to the hose between the rx8 engine and the oil cooler on the front left. EVEN IF THE RECALL WAS DONE you should still check your hoses , as they can easily fail at 10 years old.

So the recall was that the hoses were failing after a few years, leading to a loss of engine oil. The 'fix' was to inspect the hose, and generally not to replace it, but to change the underbody plastic covers, to try reduce the amount of road salt / rain that can splash up and cause rusting.

The part that seem to rust is white in my photo, and is not the flexible part of the hose, but rather the solid part about a foot from the oil cooler on the front left. 

I would recommend immediate inspection, and most probably you should replace it during the next oil change. You can source second hand hoses from scrap yards and eBay, you can source Mazda equivalents new parts on eBay, you can source non Mazda all flexible , without solid metal parts, and you can source expensive braided upgrade models. 

I would recommend this as one if the 'essential' reliability jobs every rx8 should have done. My 2008 rx8 failed at 10 years old (2018) so I expect that all older RX8s are going to have the same problem. The symptom is a low oil light, and massive oil leak on the front left. You should not drive the car, so this prevents a break down . These hoses are generally not replaced as part of a rebuild, so even rebuilt cars are not safe.

The part of the hose that fails is hidden behind some covers. The easiest way to inspect them is to jack the car, remove the front left wheel, and remove all the plastic wheel arch liner, similar to how you would change a headlight bulb. Once off, check for bad rusting about 1 foot from the oil cooler, at the non flexible part of the pipe. Only touch the connections if you have a replacement hose to hand, or you have a spare vehicle. If it looks bad, replace it. Remember even genuine replacements may only have a life of less than 10 years.

Note the official parts have quick disconnect couplers, while most aftermarket hoses leave out the quick disconnects and instead have one long hose from start to end. It is the front left lower hose that corrodes first, marked purple on the diagram and red after quick disconnect and on to the front of the engine. .

325748152_RX8CoilcoolerhoseDiagramwithcolors.jpg.44d50acd7e470c9af3bb874f9a1225df.jpg

1630824079_RXOilCoolerleakafterRepair.jpg.8a27c54efe5c086a9b885053eed950a0.jpg

213467855_RXOilCoolerleak.jpg.3297aca5d4aa166de8c2f8899ede54c7.jpg

47 minutes ago, zg3409 said:

There was a recall in 2008 in relation to the hose between the rx8 engine and the oil cooler on the front left. EVEN IF THE RECALL WAS DONE you should still check your hoses , as they can easily fail at 10 years old.

So the recall was that the hoses were failing after a few years, leading to a loss of engine oil. The 'fix' was to inspect the hose, and generally not to replace it, but to change the underbody plastic covers, to try reduce the amount of road salt / rain that can splash up and cause rusting.

The part that seem to rust is white in my photo, and is not the flexible part of the hose, but rather the solid part about a foot from the oil cooler on the front left. 

I would recommend immediate inspection, and most probably you should replace it during the next oil change. You can source second hand hoses from scrap yards and eBay, you can source Mazda equivalents new parts on eBay, you can source non Mazda all flexible , without solid metal parts, and you can source expensive braided upgrade models. 

I would recommend this as one if the 'essential' reliability jobs every rx8 should have done. My 2008 rx8 failed at 10 years old (2018) so I expect that all older RX8s are going to have the same problem. The symptom is a low oil light, and massive oil leak on the front left. You should not drive the car, so this prevents a break down . These hoses are generally not replaced as part of a rebuild, so even rebuilt cars are not safe.

The part of the hose that fails is hidden behind some covers. The easiest way to inspect them is to jack the car, remove the front left wheel, and remove all the plastic wheel arch liner, similar to how you would change a headlight bulb. Once off, check for bad rusting about 1 foot from the oil cooler, at the non flexible part of the pipe. Only touch the connections if you have a replacement hose to hand, or you have a spare vehicle. If it looks bad, replace it. Remember even genuine replacements may only have a life of less than 10 years.

Note the official parts have quick disconnect couplers, while most aftermarket hoses leave out the quick disconnects and instead have one long hose from start to end. It is the front left lower hose that corrodes first, marked purple on the diagram and red after quick disconnect and on to the front of the engine. .

325748152_RX8CoilcoolerhoseDiagramwithcolors.jpg.44d50acd7e470c9af3bb874f9a1225df.jpg

1630824079_RXOilCoolerleakafterRepair.jpg.8a27c54efe5c086a9b885053eed950a0.jpg

213467855_RXOilCoolerleak.jpg.3297aca5d4aa166de8c2f8899ede54c7.jpg

@dmarex - is this the same place?