Sign in to follow this  
tekkenman

RX-8 - The Flooding myth

Re: RX-8 - The Flooding myth

They don't test emissions on the RX8 in the NCT because every single RX8 has different emissions.
Nice one. Good to know. I knew they made an exception for the 7 but I figured they would have dragged the 8 into their net :-D

Nope emissions exempt man :-D I would be rightly fecked now if they weren't!! Gutted the cat and have a nice stainless catback.......fumes are awful :lol:
I'm dying to get a spin in this yoke now James. Especially seeing as how I remember just how quiet and calm it was when it was all standard. Can't wait to c the difference :-D

Re: RX-8 - The Flooding myth Since it hadn't happened by now I thought it never would, but I finally flooded my 8 last night. Turned the key to start it and released it a fraction of a second before the engine had fully fired up. Turned it again and straight away I knew something was wrong, it sounded as rough as a badger's arse. I couldn't remember the exact de-flood procedure but I knew pressing the throttle to the floor would cut off the fuel supply. Did this a handful of times then tried starting normally, but no luck. Kept trying and what worked in the end was to crank with the throttle planted, releasing it for a fraction of a second every couple of seconds to let a little fuel in until it eventually caught.

Yeah' date=' was touch and go though. Took a good 10 min to get it goin and thought my battery would give up. I'd say only for I have the hi-torque starter I wouldn't have had a hope![/quote'] Nice one I might try this later as mine wouldnt budge thismorning after been parked up for nearlly 3 weeks . Il let yas know how I get on

Nice one I might try this later as mine wouldnt budge thismorning after been parked up for nearlly 3 weeks . Il let yas know how I get on
Sounds like your battery is dead mate and it's not flooding related.

Re: RX-8 - The Flooding myth Can anyone clarify if flooding can cause immediate long term damage to engine i.e. rotor housing / apex seals etc? I understand it can foul the plugs and cause issues with the cat etc but my main concern is the non easily replaceable parts outlined above.... Yesterday I installed a rotary revs kit ignition kit. Long story short something was faulty and the car was not firing properly when fired up. I opted to shut it off for fear of causing issues, reinstalled old coils / leads / plugs and had to de-flood it. All in all the deflooding wasn't a problem and got it going again 'handily'. Now i have a CEL (possible cat related) and I'm worried that there may be an underlining issue. I'll be getting the code reader to find out what the reading is and in the mean time won't be driving on it till I'm 100% there's no damage done. Absolute disaster. To be so careful and take the extra time on installation only to have it not function and cause ANOTHER issue..... never once flooded the car in the two years i've had it. According to previous owner he never flooded it either.

Re: RX-8 - The Flooding myth Flooding your engine will not cause any long term damage to your engine. Spark plugs might foul and your cat converter might end up breaking up but your housings, rotors and apex seals should be fine. Might be worth changing your oil to ensure it hasn't been diluted by petrol getting past your control rings.

Re: RX-8 - The Flooding myth thanks MCON for clarifying. I had a fair idea of the same but equally wanted to be sure... cheers. now, to get this kit sorted and on to happy ignition issue free motoring!