Sign in to follow this  
BERNIEC

13B Rebuild kits - parts required

ok guys seemed as a few of us are in need of em im wondering what is the best one for the money and where can ya get em from also wheres the best place for housings and rotors just in case ive been lookin at the atkins ones and they seem very good for the money but what are ye goin for?

i got rebuild kit from atkins,rotors and housings from rhd. trust me, if you wanna do the rebuild right - as in replace all hoses washers, springs, pumps, filters etc etc - throw another 2000 at it easy.. turners cross motors got around 1100 off me for bits and bobs! you may as well do it right as your doin it.. im glad ftorex convinced me anyways!

There are few rebuild kits out there Atkins being one of them..They tend to use alot of Genuine Mazda parts in their kit anyway with the exception of Apex seals and springs etc. which are thier own brand..Also not all parts you need are in the kit.. Mazda OEM parts are best.. Also like mul said dont forget to look at the other ancillaries that will need changing/upgrading..Theres a long list of stuff so i wont go into detail.. :lol: Most of our cars are 13-15 yrs old after all... :wink:

Lads, could someone put together a definitive list of parts required for a 13B rebuilt to include optional component as required? Would be a useful resource for the forum. CJ

Lads, could someone put together a definitive list of parts required for a 13B rebuilt to include optional component as required? Would be a useful resource for the forum. CJ
It would be good to have a list alright... I was looking at the Pineapple Tuning site and found them very good but went comparing prices with RHDJapan and think i might just try get as much money as i can together and get all parts off them. With them you can buy a complete Gasket Kit and Complete O-ring kit, whereas with the Atkins and Pineapple Racing kit as far as i know they only give you a few gaskets and o-rings needed. I'd love to have a list to go by though.

howzit :) an O-ring kit is just the water seals and oil seals to rebuild the block a Gasket kit is a water seal kit plus all the gaskets and orings for injectors oil and water orings mazda full gasket kits dont include things like apex seals corner seals and springs and oil control orings later glen

Here is the list of things in the Atkins master rebuilt kit with a couple of notes added 1. Exhaust Manifold to Block Gasket 2. Middle Plenum Intake Gasket 3. Manifold to Catilytic Converter 4. Upper Plenum Intake Gasket 5. Waterpump Gasket 6. Rear Stationary Gear O-Ring 7. Front Cover Gasket 8. Oil Pan Gasket (alot of ppl say this is crap and just use gasket sealer don't know myself any input?) 9. Waterpump Housing to Block Gasket 10. Front Cover Teflon O-Ring 11. Oil Pan Pickup Gasket 12. 5th & 6th Port Actuator Gaskets 13. Hylomar 14. Side Seals 15. Side Seal Springs 16. Air Control Valve Gasket 17. Metal Oil Control Rings 18. Atkins Designed Thermal Pellet Replacement 19. Oil Pump Chain 20. Stock Mazda Outer Water Jacket Seal 21. Stock Mazda Inner Water Jacket Seal 22. Atkins Designed Viton Oil Ring Inserts 23. Intake Manifold To Block Gasket 24. Atkins Rotary Oil Filter 25. Crank Angle Sensor O-Ring 26. Oil Metering Pump O-Ring 27. Misc O-Rings and Crush Washers 28. Tension Bolt Washers 29. Front & Rear Main Seal 30. Torrington Bearings 31. Atkins Designed High Performance Apex Seals 32. Stock Mazda Apex Seal Springs 33. 93+ Corner Seal Springs (sometimes not needed with aftermarket corner seals that have them integrated, will be needed for the majority) 34. Atkins Designed Solid Corner Seals also highly recommeded Fuel filter (pointless rebuilding if you don't do this too, that's if you haven't already done it) All rubber bits (the ageing rubber tubes and hoses are disasterous on my car so I'm replacing them all with silicone) O2 sensor seemed to be in bad shape on mine so i presume others would be similar I'm sure there's plenty not covered here so if ppl can, feel free to edit and add to the above. optional new fuel pump fuel injectors fuel llines clutch (this is not always optional but you'll see when you get theredependant on inspection and or personal choice) new rotors (this is not always optional but you'll see when you get theredependant on inspection and or personal choice) new rotor housing(this is not always optional but you'll see when you get there dependant on inspection and or personal choice) new intermediate housing(this is not always optional but you'll see when you get there dependant on inspection and or personal choice) engine mounts (don't know if this makes a huge difference, input?) effini y pipe 99 on metal parts replacing plastic and rubber I think (need clarification, anyone?) Handy things to have when building Vaseline/petroleum jelly for putting it together (the other uses you can keep to yourselves) Syringe for easy application of Vaseline Socket set and misc screwdrivers 54MM SOCKET one of the harder things to find so it'd be the first thing I'd be looking for Various boxes and ziplock bags for all the nuts and bolts etc.. Axel stands or lift Engine hoist Engine stand An understanding mate willing to lend a hand (preferable one that doesn't mind you cursing alot at inanimate objects) An understanding mate with a big shed or a big shed of your own A big heater for the big shed (I was freezing my nuts off the last time) Well fitting gloves (makes a huge difference) Again feel free to add

I'm taking the advice of most and i'm saving up to get all Mazda parts for the rebuild, going to go with rhdjapan i think. What i'm looking for now though is the best place to get all the coolant hoses, i want to replace them all, and the vacuum hoses too.

For sure, might as well learn how, i'm really lookin forward to gettin the engine out now to take it apart and see how bad things are on the inside. I'm only out in Shannon, be handy havin someone else close who's doin one themselves too.

Thats handy alright, i'm originally from Meath, livin in Shannon now for the last 4 years or so. Must change that. I'll just be relying on lots of photos and memory for putting things back where they were.

You must not be in your rex johno do ya? I'm sure i'd have seen it about. Seen a black rx in the multi story car park in arthurs quay just around christmas time, might have been you? Would be glad to have another rex owner come out and have a look anytime. At the moment it's out in the shed, up on axle stands. Engine pretty much ready for out. Hopefully it'll be next week i'll get the engine hoist and we'll start at takin it out. Still no rebuild kit got yet but workin nights and savin for it as we speak. Tonights me night off... :D