Sign in to follow this  
MazdaMcMazdaFace

Rebuilding a B13 and fitting it to my 1997 Mx-5

First time poster here!

Long story short - Bought a 1997 NA Mazda Mx-5 as a project while I was an apprentice.
I've since left the apprenticeship and I'm going back to college.
I won't be able to afford keeping two cars on the road so it's looking like the little Mx-5 is going to be sitting for 3 years.

It's rust free and running well, not as big of a project as I was hoping for, so that's a blessing and a curse!

I'd hate to sell it so I'm honestly looking at rebuilding a B13 and swapping it into the Mx-5.

I love rotary engines and my little maita.

Since I'll have a lot of time and cash coming in (part time job, no other expenses other than running my car),  I'm thinking I may as well try.

I thought I'd ask the lads who know what they're at.

Is it realistically doable? For a young lad who wants to wreck his head for the next few years?

Its doable ...but you will probably need a whole car to do it properly as a doner...I've spent years researching rotary engine swaps backwards and forwards..you will need two ecus...one for rotary and one for the mx5 so that all the guages work...or a stand alone programmable ecu...custom manifold probably ...some of the mx5 parts are interchangeable...The gearbox might fit..but the geometry will be off...so you would need adjustable coilovers..maybe w bump stop kit..definitely improved cooling ..The mx5 rad etc wont keep a rotary cool...upgraded fuel pump to cope with the added load...The rotary will fit but you probably need some custom mounts ..
However i believe the subframe is very similar.....a lot of parts ..a lot of money...hence a donor car..
I was going to drop something into my rx8 other than the rotary but it turned out too expensive and will make the car handle like a bag of shit...mazda spend heaps of money and time trying to get the centre of gravity in those sports cars correct...jamming in a different engine will throw all that off..
Just have your eyes open..
I fixed my old rotary in the end

Stuck a straight through on her..
One tenth of the price...
Done deal is littered with half finished projects like that..people run out of steam

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Irish Rotary mobile app