Fozz

Heatshield

Hi guys, so the pic shows the heatshield on my 04, 231.

I'm unsure if connected but I hear a rattle/cackling moving thru' the revs at around 1500 - 2000rpm and then it's fine.  Also when reversing slowly it's not as quiet as I would expect and sounds like external noise to my casual ears.

The car is driving fine, by the way (and what a great car to drive!). I should add, this is the car that had the oil leak that I posted about a while back and the Shadow lads fixed that great, and made no comment on this heatshield issue, so I'm not overtly concerned about it.  Just seeking advice :)

So I hope to get it up on a ramp in a few weeks and will check if that shield is loose and tighten with hose-clamps if so, and will see what that does for the noise.  Note that the noise is not v. loud but I am just curious to see if that lessens it.

Any comments on the state of that heatshield?  I assume it will only get worse so should I look to replace or what's my best option bar ripping it off entirely?

rx8_heatshield1.JPG

That kind of noise is often reported when the cat is failing. Good news is that since we're emissions exempt you can replace with a much cheaper decat pipe.

I already have a decat but currently have a similar noise. I found the heatshield on the downpipe was loose so I tightened it with a big jubilee clip, but it made no difference. After putting the car on a lift I found the noise was actually coming from the resonator. 

On 9/13/2018 at 2:26 PM, muckwarrior said:

That kind of noise is often reported when the cat is failing. Good news is that since we're emissions exempt you can replace with a much cheaper decat pipe.

I already have a decat but currently have a similar noise. I found the heatshield on the downpipe was loose so I tightened it with a big jubilee clip, but it made no difference. After putting the car on a lift I found the noise was actually coming from the resonator. 

Cheers for the feedback.

I've researched replacing the whole thing with a decat pipe, so elimination the heat-shield issue and any possible future CAT issue sin one fell swoop.
Any recommendations on a good option?  I don't like the raspy noise I hear from some youtubers who've replaced the midpipe (and kept the stock catback) but I assume different midpipes will have different audio qualities?

Cheers and that really looks the part allright.

stg£320 delivered...not cheap but then, what is!

Please let me know how you get on.  Also, do you have the stock catback?  I do so any issue fitting this 3'' to that 2.5''?

Man, you should never have introduced me to this site...now I want new coils and a clean-oil system.  I'll start writing my letter to Santa :ph34r:

Edited by Fozz
Added info

Will do. Hoping to fit it within the next month. Yeah, I have the stock catback and this should fit no probs. 

I've had a toyosports decat fitted for about the past 6 years or so, and in fairness it's been grand til it started rattling a few months ago, but I'm looking forward to seeing what the new one sounds like as the toyo was always a bit tinny around 3.5k rpm.

Slightly off topic but I was looking at the coil pack on RRP:
https://www.ryanrotaryperformance.com/shop/rrp-performance-ignition-coil-system

So I looked under my bonnet and I see I have a set of Magnecor Electrosports 80's fitted, so a previous owner obviously changed the originals for those at some stage (car has 80k Km on the clock).  So am I wasting my time considering the RRP ones?  Are what I have comparable and I should stick wit them until they need replacement (will they even need to be replaced?).

Cheers for advice.

As your not sure. My advice is if it were me I would get them. As the ignition system (coils in particular) can be a thorn in the side and is vital with these cars its important that your ignition system is up to scratch. Get new plugs also that way you have peace of mind in knowing that it will stand greatly to your engines healthB)

Also no harm asking Carl Ryan on the life- durability of his coils:)

Edited by Aido 8

On 9/19/2018 at 10:49 PM, Aido 8 said:

Also no harm asking Carl Ryan on the life- durability of his coils:)

Haha, indeed, I'd say he'd be biased :)

But I agree with you - better to get the good coils and get those (and a Sohn adapter) installed by Shadow the next time I drop him the car in January.  That way I know what's in there.

Beyond that, I am curious how MuckWarrior gets on with that CAT-less mid-pipe.   If it doesn't sound offensive then I'll look into that for sure as I'd like to sort the CAT/Heatshield out once and for all as that situation is only going to deteriorate.
Finally I believe I still have my original N3H1 starter so that's something I'd like upgraded also.  May look in a breakers for a newer one from an 07 or 08...

Update to this issue - had the car up in the air on the weekend and we just removed the heat-shield.  It was badly damaged so am happy to be rid of it.  No discernible extra cabin-heat because of it but will monitor that situation.  The CAT pipe underneath is in good condition and I no longer have a rattle when parking or moving slowly.

Hey MuckWarrior, you get that new mid-pipe installed?

1 hour ago, muckwarrior said:

Nope. Was delivered a week or 2 ago. Planning on installing either this weekend or weekend after. Glad your rattle is sorted though!

Ah nice one.
Be interested to hear what you think.  You in the Dublin area?  Would love to check it out when installed. 

I still have a strange rattle/chattering noise when doing about 2krpm and mechanic thinks it's the gearbox.  Maybe a bearing or some such.  Happens in several gears in and around 2k and nowhere else.  I'm not overly worried as I've read these RX8 gearboxes can be noisy :huh:

They can be noisy, but a rattle or chattering isn't normal from the gearbox. It's usually more of a whirring type noise. Does it only happen when the car is moving? Interestingly, exactly 2k and 3k rpm is where my rattle is. 

Yeah, I'm in Dubland - D7/15 area. Will let you know when I have it fitted.