Hi all, just got my hands on an rx8.

Very interesting motor, I can't compare it to anything I've driven (maybe the closest a car gets to a twin sportsbike?!); it satisfies a curiosity I've had for a while and I'm looking forward to plenty of fun miles.

I'm disappointed with the level (or lack of) rust proofing the car has, a lot of the former treatment (a rubber-like compound) has hardened and is flaking off, revealing primer and lots of surface rust...I hate rust.

I will leave body work etc to a professional but I don't mind getting under and doing some of the lighter work.

Anyone recommend a good quality underseal that can treat what remains of surface rust post sanding/wirebrushing. I see Hammerite underbody treatment, but I am suspicious of it's efficacy. Zinc primer? Lowe Rost primer?

All suggestions very welcome!

Bye for now,

Julien

I recommend you request to join the closed Facebook group, you might get better responses . A common nct fail is rust, especially on earlier models and there are some threads on here and recommendations of fixes. I think at the bottom of doors/ chassis people have had to weld in steel to strengthen up chassis. So before you go repairing rust check it is not structural. I have no issues myself, but I have later 08 model

OK cool, I'll try and get it checked to see if it's a structural issue. But I don't intend on doing any work further than strictly surface rust and make things tidy underneath, and if there is any particular underbody treatment someone recommends I can usy then please let me know.

If I have to go down the structural side of things, any particular bodywork/panel guys in the sligo area?

Thanks J

Hello fella and welcome to the forum.:)

Im in grange in North Sligo where in Sligo are you?. I know about 5 fellas here that would sort yah and 2 of them are very reasonable and good. Had one of them work on my wife’s car a while back.  So where abouts are yez

Hey Aido, great to hear from someone local! Am based near manorhamilton on the bundoran Road, so not far from you! I commute to sligo most days, short drive on one of the nicest roads in the country...

Basically the lower front sills are bubbly and there's a few touch ups on the body in general. Maybe there's more but it doesn't seem structural yet, I'd like to nip this in the bud and get it done right.

We should meet up over the weekend or something if you are around.

Julien

Hi Julien there is a chap called Vincent Scanlon 086-7352586 who is good and reasonable which is closer for you. Now that’s an old number but contact John Scanlon (search for his number) who once had the Seat Dealership in Sligo, they are brothers so he would give you Vincents number if that number above does not work.

There is a polish guy in Carney near me also if your looking for another Quote but either of those guys are your best bet. There is a good guy in Calry to but he could be retired.

And yes it would be great to meet up if we could do that next week Im interested to see your beast in the metal.:D

But for now do throw up some snaps of her as we all love pics hereB)

Regards Aidan

Show us some photos of the RX in general and shots of the rust issue.
I had rust issues with my sills and rear off side arch and did a DIY on them personally 2 years ago after an NCT fail, and it still passed to date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guys thanks for all the info & help. I'll post up a load of images tomorrow, been flat out with work. Wouldn't mind doing some of the work myself. Any recommendations for diff &transmission oil (gl4 ? ), I'm just going through a complete service over the next couple of weeks.