Fly killer

Must the computer be ready set when battery has been disconnected

I don't believe so. Resetting the ECU by stomping on the brake pedal 20 plus times within 8 seconds only clears the VRAM so the cars ECU can relearn it fuel trims. Have you checked the two earth connections under the air box to make sure there is a good clean connection as they sometimes get wet and need cleaning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You may want to hold off on getting a new ECU as I understand you'll need it programmed for your cars setup, I maybe wrong anyone correct me here, get the power steering box first they're about €40 on eBay or go with the offers from the guys on here first.
Have you checked the steering UJ in case it's fouled up with dirt?
I say this as a few years back I had steering problems and it was down to the UJ being dry and dirty. I cleaned it and covered it in universal grease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Intermittent power steering probs is a common fault, it's because the coolant reservoir overflow tube points straight at the power steering connections. Open both connections , clean away the corrosion with a bud and electrical cleaner , add a dab of wd40 and reconnect. Should fix it right up. 

Another somewhat common fault is the earth on the electrical power steering rack itself, a good earth will fix it.

It's most likely one of those. Good hunting anyway B)

Edited by RichieDC