Sign in to follow this  
Thomas C

Respray or wrap?

Hello All,

Not planning on looking at this for a while but wanted to start the conversation and see what people think. My own 7 still has its original paint but its getting quite faded (to much to be cleaned up anyway)

The only place I have a bit of a rust issue is the boot window which I would like to get sorted but other than that its very clean.

A few people have mentioned wrapping as a cheaper alternative that will offer the same effect so wanted to find out peoples experiences with either option?

(Also I am having to replace the pop up light covers which will be provided unpainted so that will look off until I get this done)

tRE8orwEqdXZCYNGBC5NAp43kumuIg4ItaUYEjnS

(not sure the pic will be visible)

Thomas

I say get it wrapped but if you do, wrap it a similar colour so that when you open the door the original paint won't differ much from the wrap. I know a lad in Castlepollard that does a brilliant job and uses nice thick vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you can spray the headlight covers yourself if your stuck, i painted mine when i swapped from a vented one and looks perfect, got the colour, lacquer and primer from micks garage, if your doing small areas like headlight covers there grand, bigger areas are alot more difficult

On 7/2/2017 at 10:04 AM, spla300 said:

I say get it wrapped but if you do, wrap it a similar colour so that when you open the door the original paint won't differ much from the wrap. I know a lad in Castlepollard that does a brilliant job and uses nice thick vinyl

My plan was to go for a dark metallic blue so that would be fairly different, I guess ill see what the budget is like when I eventually decide to do it.

On 7/2/2017 at 11:12 AM, seanmcg said:

you can spray the headlight covers yourself if your stuck, i painted mine when i swapped from a vented one and looks perfect, got the colour, lacquer and primer from micks garage, if your doing small areas like headlight covers there grand, bigger areas are alot more difficult

I would be tempted alright, I was planning to have them mat black so could get them done early, might look a bit weird through, like a sick panda....

Have you looked into plasti dip? It's something you can spray on and peel off later.
It can be done outside during summer and you don't have to worry about dust. you can get different pigments to change colour.
Here is an example of plasti dip someone did on mr2.com
d50209db16fdd370e8cf17419a323423.jpg

Yeah I think once I get the bubbling sorted on the boot and it's very minor I'll do plasti dip. Will be a while before I get that far anyway but good to know there is options. The colours look really nice as well

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of wraps, I've yet to see one that has any depth to it. Might be ok if going for a matte finish but a gloss one doesn't cut it for me, from what I've seen to date. I was under the impression that wrap wasn't all that cheap either.

I'm planning a respray in Silverstone Silver once finished. Could be close on 3-4k for a good job though

I'm not a fan of wraps, I've yet to see one that has any depth to it. Might be ok if going for a matte finish but a gloss one doesn't cut it for me, from what I've seen to date. I was under the impression that wrap wasn't all that cheap either.

I'm planning a respray in Silverstone Silver once finished. Could be close on 3-4k for a good job though

My own is some type of silver at the moment. Need to find out what the code 3L matches. But don't think i would keep it silver though.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk