warpc0il

Irish (NI & Eire) trip to Anglesey Circuit

This is a copy of my post on the RX8 Owners Club forum

Irish (NI & Eire) trip to Anglesey Circuit

"The Anglesey Circuit has been proposed for a track day in the 2017 schedule, date TBD.

It occurred to me that the circuit is only 20 minutes down the road from Holyhead, which has a regular ferry service from Dublin - you see where I'm going with this....

Anyway, I've done some digging and it's not as daft as it first seemed.

There are two ferry operators on the Dublin-Holyhead route; Stenaline and Irish Ferries.

The Stenaline ships are "Superfast" and do the journey in about 3.5 hours.

The Irish Ferries boats take about the same but they also have the Dublin Swift, that cruises at 50 mph and only takes 1h 49m (weather permitting).
top-swift-facts.jpg

The schedule for the Dublin Swift makes it possible to travel over in the morning, have 5 hours track time and return the same evening, thus saving on overnight costs.  Alternatively, travel over in the evening, have all the next day at the track and back that evening.  Either way they offer a Next Day  (30 hour maximum) return ticket which saves ~£140 compared to normal single fares.

Currently they are quoting £184 (Up to 30 June & Sept – 15 Dec) and £209 (July – Aug & 16 Dec – 5 Jan 18) per car with up to four adults.

Both operators offer special discounts for groups of cars travelling together, though neither give any specific details on their website, other than Stenaline have a minimum group of 10 cars, while Irish Ferries will give discounts for groups of five and over - another bonus for IF.

So, to keep thing simple, I'm only looking at Irish Ferries and, preferably, Dublin Swift sailings.

As mentioned at the top of this post, the date(s) for Anglesey have yet to be set and therefore, if a large enough contingent from the island of Ireland were to be interested, then this may become the determining factor.

If we can get enough interest to go for group booking discount then I'm happy to make those arrangements, the track time etc with still be managed by the Events team.

Please indicate, in the usual way, if you're interested in this trip.
No commitment at this stage but please be realistic.
I'm looking for a minimum of 8 cars on the list to justify opening a dialogue with Irish Ferries, on the basis that a few are bound to drop-off.

In addition to the ferry fares, there will also be your own costs to Dublin and the track time itself.

Also check that you have some recovery service available if, by any chance, your car were to breakdown during your scenic tour of the Anglesey countryside and may have to be recovered home (worse case).

Personally, if my car were to go bang around the track then it would be a good excuse to get her "recovered" to Uncle Ben for a rebuild and some porting.  However, she's not let me down on any of the trackdays in the past, so that's unlikely to be an option.

While this thread will be the primary, I'm also posting the same on the IrishRotary forum, to increase the catchment area."

51 minutes ago, warpc0il said:

Names for interest:

1. warpc0il (+Pauline) prefer same day travel
2. Rex & Ita - either.

Also, one of the guys on the FB page works with Irish ferries and may be able to get some kind of better discount. I'll shoot him a PM nearer the time if there's enough interest

I'm provisionally heading on a trackday trip to the UK in early August already - won't know til April if it's a go-er so I'll keep an eye on this thread & see how things pan out.

Fair dues to you taking the initiative to organise this! :) B)

The date for this event has now been changed to 4th November :(

When this event was originally proposed we were looking at a date in August.

Not only would the weather (more likely to) be better but the ferry service from Dublin would be running the Summer timetable, giving us the opportunity to travel across and back to Holyhead on the same day and still have more than 6 hours track time.

By November the ferries are on their Winter timetables and this is no longer possible.

Please feel free to make your own arrangements to travel from NI & Eire, as I won't be going this year.