Chazz

RX8 won't rev beyond 3,100rpm in 5th and 6th gear

Carl Ive watched the vids quiet a few times now and cant help but think to myself (compression test) just to know that your not on a wild goose chase. You have done incredible good work at having a go at this and knowing you I would be surprised if you have missed something so.... but please god I'm wrong and lt is the sensor, fingers crossed,:)

No significant progress yet. Replaced the engine CTS on Saturday. She'll start if I keep the gas pedal to the floor and release it when she catches. Holds idle for a few minutes then dies. Able to drive her as long as the revs are kept at 2,000rpm. It's a bitch when stopping in traffic or at lights. Trying to get a hold of the lads in Shadow Rotary is like trying to catch my own farts
The next time Jamie's in Dublin I'm gonna get him to do a compression test if I'm not able to get a hold of the Shadow guy gurus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Carl glad to see your still upbeat about the whole thing as its going on forever, fair play man:).

I have to say mate that I am disappointed for you that your rebuilder doesn't seem to have offered any assistance to you as you're talking about Shadow rotary. Does he have any pride in his work or care for his customers as that's still a very fresh engine, suppose only he can answer that.

As you know some rebuilders on other forums have replaced engines or fixed them out of warranty:mellow:

Have you checked that the fuel pump is getting enough voltage? I'm putting together a new fuel system for my 7 and I plan to run a direct feed from my battery to my fuel pump with an inline fuse and relay as you can get voltage drop across the wiring loom. Probably a long shot but might be worth a try. 

Hope you get it sorted, looks like you've tried everything at this stage. If you can't get the shadow lads on the phone try calling down to them. They tend to be flat out all day so it can be hard to get them on the phone.

Cheers Dara will have a look at the voltage on the fuel pump etc.,
Will drop into the lads in Shadow tomorrow as you suggest. Hoping it's not compression related 🤞

Cheers for the offer Jamie but I've got it sorted with the rotary gurus out in Shadow Rotary.
Aidan, I thought about going to the guy I got to rebuild it but I've no faith in him. Dropped out to Eoin and Anthony today and had a long discussion about the problem I'm having and they think it maybe fuel related at best, rebuilt at worst
Saw a few torn down engines out there that were rebuilt by the same guy who did my rebuild. One in particular was where he used the wrong apex springs, racing springs on a standard Mazda apex seal, the whole thing blew apart
I could have spent the whole day out there with the guys talking about rotary stuff and looking around but alas I had to let them get back to work.
Anyway I left my keys with Eoin as he'll call out to the house and drive my baby to their workshop. He said he'll have no problems driving her in the state she's in as he's done it before and it'll save on towing charges. He's a feckin gem
So should have an update in a couple of days or so.

On 2017-5-31 at 4:18 PM, Chazz said:

Cheers for the offer Jamie but I've got it sorted with the rotary gurus out in Shadow Rotary.
Aidan, I thought about going to the guy I got to rebuild it but I've no faith in him. Dropped out to Eoin and Anthony today and had a long discussion about the problem I'm having and they think it maybe fuel related at best, rebuilt at worstemoji33.png
Saw a few torn down engines out there that were rebuilt by the same guy who did my rebuild. One in particular was where he used the wrong apex springs, racing springs on a standard Mazda apex seal, the whole thing blew apart emoji85.pngemoji33.png
I could have spent the whole day out there with the guys talking about rotary stuff and looking around but alas I had to let them get back to work.
Anyway I left my keys with Eoin as he'll call out to the house and drive my baby to their workshop. He said he'll have no problems driving her in the state she's in as he's done it before and it'll save on towing charges. He's a feckin gememoji106.png
So should have an update in a couple of days or so.

Glad to hear that buddy.. She's in good hands as I'm sure you've seen. The lads will do everything possible before pointing to a build, so fingers crossed for ya. I'll be in with them over the weekend if you're around?? 

I'll be floating around Dublin on Tuesday if you want to drop the car to Inchicore and I'll spin you back home on my way back down to Wexico. I'll be coming up the Naas Road on my way up so If you don't have a spare I can collect the key off the lads on my way. Whatever time suit's you, just let me know.

Thanks for the offer Hugh but I have the use of another car so I'm sorted. I'll be dropping out to the guys on Monday to see how they're sorted for collecting the car. Eoin still has the keys.

Not possible Aidan as my RX8 is a non runner
Second time I've missed an annual meeting. First time was back in 2015 when the engine shit itself.
Now this is the second time and same reason.

@Aido, if the guys in Shadow can sort me out ASAP before the summer is over I'll be heading over to my usual camping spot on Mannin Bay to kayak and final use my brother Mark's Catamaran, I'll be in touch and pop up to you on my way back to Dublin for an auld chin wag and tell stories of all thinks Rotary.

So here's the latest update...
The Rotary Doctors called over today and as soon as Anthony started her up himself and Eoin knew she didn't sound good. Just by listening for a few seconds they could tell the bearings in one or two of the rotors wasn't right.
The doctors will know more when they perform surgery
They'll do a compression test this afternoon and let me know the readings
and let me know when they're going to pull the engine out so I can be there to see how it's done as it's the only thing I haven't done myself to the car at this stage.
It's great to know she's in expert hands

Just heard from Anthony in Shadow that the front rotor has a compression in the 3's and the rear rotor compression is in the 9's.
He can push on the apex seal through the spark plug hole and there is a lot of play there.
Engine tear down happens tomorrow Woo Hoo!