We're Back! Read more... ×
TheLedge

Advice on GB and Diff oil

"Mazda's own stuff" these days is a hybrid oil that tries to cover the requirements of both GL4 and GL5.

The problem is that GL5 is too slippery for the 6-speed gearbox and can cause the sychromesh to fail, which will wreck the 'box.

I'd definitely go with a hi-quality GL4-only oil, such as the MT90 - which is also my personal choice.

21 hours ago, warpc0il said:

"Mazda's own stuff" these days is a hybrid oil that tries to cover the requirements of both GL4 and GL5.

The problem is that GL5 is too slippery for the 6-speed gearbox and can cause the sychromesh to fail, which will wreck the 'box.

I'd definitely go with a hi-quality GL4-only oil, such as the MT90 - which is also my personal choice.

Do Mazda not still stock a separate GL-4 75W90 oil for the gearbox & GL-5 SAE90 for the diff as per their own user manual?

Most dealers are multi-franchise these days and their workshops buy engine and transmission oil in big drums and fill using a hose, so you get whatever is in the drum.

Mazda Europe recent launched Mazda Genuine Engine Oil

but they no longer promote Mazda branded gearbox/diff oils, though some dealer may have old stock (to sell, not to use in their workshops)