Arthur

Mx5 Vs. Rx7

Hi guys,

Havent been active in a long time but still considering getting an Rx7 (Fd3s), however there is still a conflict going on in my head as to what I should get (I like certainty and I want to decide even if it may be further down the line.)

The car I have been wanting for quite a while now is definitely the rx7, but with time the idea has come in where i can buy an mx5 mk1, as its also got some charm to it, and the pop up lights :P. If I where to get an mx5 there I would be making upgrades and building it to some degree, as its the cheaper car so i can afford to do that.

What i wanted to know though for the rx7 if i was to get one, a rough breakdown cost would be pretty cool please :) I would probably make it into my daily/regular car, as I dont need to use it to get to work just weekends or stuff like that, would be doing a bit of motorway driving on it.

Any ideas/suggestions would be great thanks!

When you say cost, what're you talking about? Fuel (consumption), tax, NCT, insurance, typical service costs, parts costs?

An MX5 in everything other than possibly tax (unless you get a 1.6L MX5 or the RX7 is pre-94 taxed as a 1.3L) will usually always be cheaper - take this from someone who's owned both.

MX5 MK1s can be bought for between €1000-2000 currently & FD RX7s can be bought for between €5K-13K depending on whether you pick up a bargain or order something very tidy & up in the years from Japan.

Im mainly referring to fuel costs and insurance. Since I'm only 22 im sure all the insurance companies would be excited at the prospect of bending me over the barrel with a premium. And as much as I do want an rx7 i think the thing holding me back the most is the money I would probably spend.

I think for both cars I'd spend plenty of $$ on since I'd be picky about how the overall condition/quality of the car.