Sign in to follow this  
Thomas C

what happens after you reset the ecu

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone knows what happens after the ecu is reset. My own baby still has the factory standard and after a reset the first start the car has the usual issues, however on the second start the car works normally. Third start and thereafter the issues resume.

Is there so.ething specific being done on the second start. As far as I can find out it takes up to 10 times engine on and off for it to recalibrate fully but not all that sure what it's doing.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

The reset completely erases all learned signals coming from your engine/sensor combination. No two sensors are identical. As a result the system has to receive learn it's 'base' this assists with idle and overall fuelling. 

The reset is there so if you replace a sensor then you can let it know to relearn for this change. 

You more than likely have a faulty sensor. Can you describe the issue your having and I might be able to narrow it down for you?

On 8/9/2016 at 9:40 AM, littlefeck said:

The reset completely erases all learned signals coming from your engine/sensor combination. No two sensors are identical. As a result the system has to receive learn it's 'base' this assists with idle and overall fuelling. 

The reset is there so if you replace a sensor then you can let it know to relearn for this change. 

You more than likely have a faulty sensor. Can you describe the issue your having and I might be able to narrow it down for you?

Hey, sorry for the delay in responding, if you check my other post I think I have actually ruled out the ECU at the moment, I can get the car running well even without an ECU reset.

The below is the detail I added this morning:

Just a quick update to say I have found an odd way to get the car to work. I originally though it was when I was resetting the ECU but does not seem to be the case.

Basically when I first start the car it will have the usual spluttering and misfiring issues, I drive it gently for a couple of miles until she's warmed up and turn the engine off and back on and it will start working perfectly.

Not quite sure what could cause that but any further opinions appreciated.

Thanks

Thomas