Hi All,

I am looking for some advice on a rebuild kit to buy and what experience people tend to have with their own rebuilds. I bought a non running engine that i haven't split yet. The information I got from the last owner is that the engine was just rebuilt but it was very hard on coolant so a suspected water seal could be the issue. It looks like it was just built too. My question is should I rebuild it again or if everything inside looks good should i just replace gaskets etc. If I were to rebuild it fully what kit is the best, there seems to be mixed opinion on the Atkins kit, the RA kit and pineapple racing kit. Its for a 1995 FD3s RX7

Take it apart and measure it using the FSM as a reference. If the coolant is leaking into the engine everything may have rusted.

If your not splitting it immediately, empty the coolant out of it and run oil through the intake ports while turning it over.

On 8/17/2016 at 5:27 PM, MCON said:

Take it apart and measure it using the FSM as a reference. If the coolant is leaking into the engine everything may have rusted.

If your not splitting it immediately, empty the coolant out of it and run oil through the intake ports while turning it over.

Thanks MCON, so just put a small bit of oil directly into the intake ports in the irons and hand turn it?

On 8/19/2016 at 8:44 AM, MrTriangle said:

Thanks MCON, so just put a small bit of oil directly into the intake ports in the irons and hand turn it?

Yep thats it. no point in ordering any kit until you determine what it needs first.

On 8/19/2016 at 8:44 AM, MrTriangle said:

Yep!

On 8/23/2016 at 11:40 AM, littlefeck said:

Yep thats it. no point in ordering any kit until you determine what it needs first.

What he said. ^^

Atkins kits are fine for the FD engines, Mazda genuine kits are good too (they did design the engine!) so either would be my preference from speaking to many engine builders - Mazda just tends to be a bit more expensive is all.

Worth asking the guys in Shadow if they have anything too. Failing that, eBay or MazdaRotaryParts off the top of my head. Check the list of rotary parts shops in the General Rotary section - that'll be a good place to start.

If the compression was taken with a proper rotary compression tester when the engine's been warmed up & shows as good compression then it seems like an ok price given your housings are shot. I can't remember what good compression is on an FD engine but anywhere in the high 7s all-round & very little difference between front & back chambers is good from memory.

Might still be worth pricing up a rebuild kit & some used housings that are in good nick though if you're happy enough doing the work yourself.

4 hours ago, jp said:

If the compression was taken with a proper rotary compression tester when the engine's been warmed up & shows as good compression then it seems like an ok price given your housings are shot. I can't remember what good compression is on an FD engine but anywhere in the high 7s all-round & very little difference between front & back chambers is good from memory.

Might still be worth pricing up a rebuild kit & some used housings that are in good nick though if you're happy enough doing the work yourself.

He dident go into much detail about the test but i can always ask. At least I know what to ask now jp, thank you! The problem is both my housings and my rotors are brown bread. Id buy used ones no problem once they come up for sale.

I've seen housings etc on eBay for reasonable money in the UK; the thing is if I was going to the extent of buying housings that were used I'd want to see them first-hand & get out some dial-gauges etc. on them before I bought them. A used unbroken block from the Mazda factory with good compression is likely to have internals in good condition - although it's arguably no guarantee, it's likely the best shot you'd have at getting good condition internals without having them in your hands & measuring them to the endth degree.

...shy of looking inside an unopened block through the ports & see the condition of the internals as you turn the engine over, that's the only other thing I think you could do but unless it was convenient or you were paying a premium for it I wouldn't worry going to that extent.

8 hours ago, jp said:

I've seen housings etc on eBay for reasonable money in the UK; the thing is if I was going to the extent of buying housings that were used I'd want to see them first-hand & get out some dial-gauges etc. on them before I bought them. A used unbroken block from the Mazda factory with good compression is likely to have internals in good condition - although it's arguably no guarantee, it's likely the best shot you'd have at getting good condition internals without having them in your hands & measuring them to the endth degree.

...shy of looking inside an unopened block through the ports & see the condition of the internals as you turn the engine over, that's the only other thing I think you could do but unless it was convenient or you were paying a premium for it I wouldn't worry going to that extent.

Thanks for the advice jp! Ill have to keep an eye out for some of the parts or a full engine locally, if not chance my arm elsewhere.

Ive been keeping an eye on 13b rew parts and even enquired about engines being imported with no joy. Are 2 new housings really as expensive as €1,700 or can you get a better deal elsewhere? Anybody have any experience with resurfaced housings as there is a set for sale on fduk and im thinking of getting them.

Thanks for all the help and advice in advance. 

I think they're about €5-600 new from Japan each (from memory - you'd need to confirm that) so wouldn't expect to pay much more than half that new. Have you tried sourcing them there? (Check out the traders sticky in the General Rotary section for local & international parts)