So, 

I've spoken to the doctor and the diagnosis is grim, my poor baby needs heart surgery.

My little red 8 is sick, and only an engine rebuild will cure her. Very emotional phone call with Anthony from Shadow Rotary (Thanks buddy) this morning to realise my worst fears. 

I think I might start a gofundme page or kickstarter, it counts as a charity case doesn't it? Really want my car back on the road. Excuse me while I go sob in the corner.

Just time unfortunately, 

Bought it around this time last year knowing that it had lower than normal compression, put in LS2 coils and all was sweet until the last couple of weeks. It started with taking a longer time to start cold and a long time to start hot. Last night, popped down to the supermarket and when I came out half an hour later went to start the car and it struggled to start and just gave up. Got a lift home, and went to check the car again this morning, it will start (just) but is definitely running on 1 rotor, spluttering all the way till it dies.

Sorry to hear this Steven,

I know your pain, however as Chazz has said, once the lads (Anthony and Eoin) have worked their magic on it, she'll (aren't they all she's when their not working right) be like new and your smile will be from ear to ear. :)

I got mine back last week, and just got home from a nice run today, Navan to Carrick on Shannon and back, and even though it needs to be run in, no more than 4000rpm, it was such a pleasure. Can't wait to get her run in, so I can let her have her way.

Yeah sorry to hear that Steve, it definitely is heartbreaking stuff.. but the silver lining is that it's already on the right road to recovery. I'm always singing the praise of the lads in shadow after my build and port, but to say they put their hearts into everyone's beloved machines is an understatement. She'll be better than new, and you'll be grinning ear to ear. Just a lil time is all B)

Just looking for some thoughts guys....

Looking at a rebuild here in Ireland is €2200 minimum, plus the cost of transporting the car (roughly €400)

Looking at a company in the UK (Chambers Rotary) that will ship a rebuilt, street ported engine with 2 year warranty to me for ~€1850

Am i better off with a rebuilt engine (that is coming in cheaper) in case my engine needs any more parts replaced, bringing the price up??

I'd look into all the details with the warranty etc the UK company are offering and factor in the cost/time involved in fitting it yourself (or someone else if you don't end up doing it yourself) & go from there once you have all the details.

Also no harm in doing some background research to see if others have had a good/bad/indifferent experience with that supplier - first I've heard of someone selling rebuilt crate engines that're ported but can certainly see the appeal once they do good porting & build work! :)

Thanks Guys for all the feedback. 

I think my head is telling me to stick with Shadow Rotary for peace of mind (and numerous good reviews) 

Just trying to explore my options

@jp Can't find alot of feedback, other than a few facebook reviews and a couple of mentions on RX8Club.com

@muckwarrior I would have to get the engine fitted, so this was a concern.

Do the figures & go from there so. :)

Shadow are porting RX8 engines now as well so you can always ask about that while you're at it if that was a major selling point with the online crowd.

Hey guys, quick question. 

How long would rebuild normally take? Been waiting over 6 weeks and still not sure on progress..

I've spoken to Anthony a few times, but don't want to be ringing every week. Original estimate was 4 to 5 weeks

8 minutes ago, stevenmac said:

How long would rebuild normally take? Been waiting over 6 weeks and still not sure on progress..

I've spoken to Anthony a few times, but don't want to be ringing every week. Original estimate was 4 to 5 weeks

lads are probably just busy, or waiting on parts to come in, i wouldnt worry, my rx7 was in england for 4 months getting rebuilt! 

2 hours ago, stevenmac said:

I know them feels @stevenmac, you're probably burstin at the seams to have her back asap. Generally speaking tho with international parts orders ,and many miscellaneous garage things that us puny mortals don't see, it'd tend to push builds onwards a few weeks at least.

But I know Anthony of all people would prefer ya ring him to check in , and get yourself some piece of mind too ;)

Aye, what Richie said - just ring Anthony & ask him for a rough date to aim for, at least that way you can have your expectations set & you can look forward to a (rough) date. :)

As with anything that's custom/one-off though, remember rebuilds can be torturous to wait for: mainly due to the length of time it takes to get parts in from abroad (we don't make any in Ireland & no dealers/shops stock them or they'd be a fortune) so you're talking postage/shipping from the US/Japan or if you're lucky (rarely) the UK. Also each engine build is different because each engine will have some extra/different parts that're required over another build depending on why the engine is being rebuilt, so you're at the mercy of the manufacturers making them, resellers stocking them, & then the shipping companies finally before they get to Shadow. Sometimes the building process can be the quickest bit of it all! :lol:

Nail on the head @jp, all of the above!

Once the car comes in its a job disconnecting, then removing, and finally opening up. Then parts have to be categorized into what's useable and what's to be scrapped for new. Then it's on to the USA and Japan to place an order which is a back order a lot of the time. THEN it'll get shipped.. 3+ weeks from Japan/China.

And not only that, I just realized its that weird Chinese holiday on at the moment, so nothing gets shipped. Over the 10 days or whatever it is.

Come to think of it, it's crazy the lengths they go to haha.

Anyway @stevenmac, one thing's for sure. You'll love her when she's done :D 

Hey Guys, back again. 

Still waiting.... At what point should I be worried? I dropped the car in early March and have been told "next week" for the last 6 weeks.I was told last week that it would be done, but I cannot get anybody on the phone the last couple of days...

I know I am v. impatient, but I explained at the time that it was my daily driver, and the original estimate was 4 to 5 weeks. We are now coming up on week 11 and I am starting to run into serious problems with borrowing cars, etc to make the 40km trip to work every day. 

Any advice?

Week 11? That's madness!

They must be swamped with work load.

Keep texting and phoning until you get an answer. If you could call in directly would be better.

That's all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk