Hey people, I was just wondering about the Nct for my Rx8. As we all know rx8 is emissions exempt. I was thinking about putting in a decat mid pipe and was wondering if they would fail you for not having a cat anyway.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Hey people, I was just wondering about the Nct for my Rx8. As we all know rx8 is emissions exempt. I was thinking about putting in a decat mid pipe and was wondering if they would fail you for not having a cat anyway.

They might fail you as they view the underside and see no CAT. Best is to gut the CAT as most of us have. Save you money and you’ll get the same result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They might fail you as they view the underside and see no CAT. Best is to gut the CAT as most of us have. Save you money and you’ll get the same result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sound for that. Does the engine check light stay on after gutting it. Anything I should know before I go ahead with it.

Yes it will stay on till you clear it with a code reader but you can get it permanently deleted by littlefeck but I didn't bother as the code reader does me:)

Edit, should of said by clearing it with the code reader the light stays of for about a month (tops) till you have to clear it again when it comes back on

Edited by Aido 8

The other alternative is a sports cat which will mean you may not have to use a code reader/get a remap to get rid of the code (@TheLedge can confirm this for this model of sport cat that I believe he bought). The reason I'd suggest this option other than the convenience aspect of the above is because it still counts as a cat if it's physically there & whatever about running a decat on most cars, when you run them on a rotary that burns oil+petrol the fumes are pretty damn toxic: I ran one in 2 different 8s that I owned & said never again. I also know of people that got headaches from the fumes of a gutted cat/decat pipe sitting in traffic.

A 200 cell sports cat will give just enough filtering to pass an MOT up North but won't restrict your exhaust system anywhere near as much as the standard cat - best of both worlds. :)

Mine passed (Deansgrange) last week with a standard Toyosport decat and backbox. Was more concerned about the noise levels but that came out at 90db (fail is 99db I believe) when they tested it (only at 3000rpm) so passed as well. :)

I've never had a CEL for the decat either.

Edited by daveh

the fumes are pretty damn toxic: I ran one in 2 different 8s that I owned & said never again. I also know of people that got headaches from the fumes of a gutted cat/decat pipe sitting in traffic.

I only recently realised that the fumes enter through the heater. When I put it on recirculate I have no more fumes in the cabin!

12 hours ago, muckwarrior said:

I only recently realised that the fumes enter through the heater. When I put it on recirculate I have no more fumes in the cabin!

Good tip - make keep that in-mind for when I first start up the Premix5.

Does that mean you've to drive everywhere in the city with the recirc on though??

41 minutes ago, jp said:

Good tip - make keep that in-mind for when I first start up the Premix5.

Does that mean you've to drive everywhere in the city with the recirc on though??

I suppose. Don't really see any problem with it. Unless you have a flatulence problem? :lol:

On 06/02/2018 at 12:29 PM, muckwarrior said:

I suppose. Don't really see any problem with it. Unless you have a flatulence problem? :lol:

Car steams up inside & you've to change the pollen filter more often? :P :lol:

51 minutes ago, jp said:

Car steams up inside & you've to change the pollen filter more often? :P :lol:

Nope. I find no difference between steaming up with it on or off. I do however find that having the aircon on greatly helps prevent the windows steaming, but that applies with recirc both on and off.

Don't see how it would negatively effect the pollen filter either. If anything there's a chance it might be bypassing it, thereby increasing its life.

14 minutes ago, muckwarrior said:

Nope. I find no difference between steaming up with it on or off. I do however find that having the aircon on greatly helps prevent the windows steaming, but that applies with recirc both on and off.

Don't see how it would negatively effect the pollen filter either. If anything there's a chance it might be bypassing it, thereby increasing its life.

Yeah aircon naturally dries out the air so if it's the aircon on (as opposed to just normal ventilation/heater) then it shouldn't steam up as much anyway. I never thought of aircon tbh as the Premix5 doesn't have aircon back in it yet. :rolleyes: (If that'll ever happen..! :lol:)

When being recirculated I was under the impression that the air was diverted from the car through the pollen filter & back out the vents, no?

3 minutes ago, jp said:

When being recirculated I was under the impression that the air was diverted from the car through the pollen filter & back out the vents, no?

Maybe it is, but I'd expect air to go through the filter when coming from outside too, so at worst it's the same. 'Pollen' filter implies it's for filtering outside air. Whether it also filters inside air I don't know.