Gizmo

Fuel problem with rx.8

Hey All,

I need your advise on what may be causing my rx.8 to consuming more fuel than normal. I use to get nearly 500km on a full tank now I'm only getting 350- 400km (that's city driving). No change in how it drive it and just had spark plugs replaced. The mechanic ran a diagnostics on it and the only thing that came up was faulty battery.

Also sometimes it's struggling to start when turn the key first but always starts after second attempt.

Any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm driving it to Spain in two weeks, so bit worried  :unsure:.

Thanks

Lulu

Hi Lulu, does the car ever struggle to start when the engine is hot (e.g. compared to when it's cold) & has been left sitting there for maybe 10-20mins at a time?

What year is the car? (03-05 by any chance?)

Has it any record of having the ignition coils or leads changed?

Lastly, have you ever had it compression-tested?

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah JP its an 05 and it struggles more when the engine is hot and especially if I'm turning on after 15mins or so. It had coils replaced in July 2013 and it's done 50,000km since then. It had coils springs replaced & compression test done by real podge in april 2016 and was perfect. Been running as podge suggest on 15/40 oil and usual rx requirements. 

It had engine staring motor replaced in Feb 16 and done 25k since.

Any ideas what it could be? 

Thanks 

Lulu 

Edited by Gizmo

That dosent sound good tbh with the struggling to start while hot but at the same time its not unusual for a coil or 2 to die on 50 k. Have you tested  the coils?? and also maybe a long shot but did you try cleaning the maf, what have you tried??   

Hi Aido,

No haven't tested the coils,  just put in new spark plugs.I I've noticed it doesnt feel as powerfull on the motorway as it use to.  Thing is I'm driving it to Spain then getting a left hand car over there so don't want to buy new coils. Do you know where I could get any second hand? 

Hi Aido,

I don't think it's the engine so I reckon/ hope it's the coils.. I've a 3000 journey to Spain to do  :unsure:!! 

Great how much would it be for them? And would need to get them fitted..

Conservatively even original Mazda coils on the RX8 can last as little as 30K KMs from what I've read elsewhere, realistically closer to 60K KMs on average so I wouldn't rule out the possibility of the coils starting to die.

In ascending order of difficulty/expense:

1) The sparks are new so make sure the connections on them are all clicked on properly

2) Check the battery is good (& of a good cca, e.g. 570cca +)

3) Check the coils against another known good set (e.g. if Aido above can sort you out), failing that there's a set of uprated coils & used C-coils in the same ad for sale in the Parts For Sale section I spotted earlier.

If after all that the car is still having trouble hot-starting but is starting ok whilst cold, then it's likely a low compression situation.

To rule out/confirm this, you could consider bringing it to @seanmcg (does callouts in Dublin/Wicklow) for a compression test on a Mazda tester or possibly to @littlefeck in Athy or Shadow Rotary in Rathcoole.

Hey JP,

Thanks a mill for all the tips really appreciated will give them a shot. Do you think low compression would cause me to get 150km less on a full tank than I use to? 

Really hope it's the coils cause a drive to Spain in her would be a great send off :D!!

The fuel not being burnt properly or the engine running less than efficiently would cause that - coils not firing/igniting the fuel is one major cause, another could be as Aido above said the MAF might need cleaning but that's a bit extreme even for a dirty MAF.

It would be handy if it was alright! ;)

21 hours ago, Gizmo said:

Thanks JP going to take it over to Shadow this afternoon so I'll get a defo answer on what it is..

Cheers bud :D

You're very welcome! ;) How'd you get on with them? :)

Hey JP,

It was the cat n a few other small issued. All sorted now & ready for a 2900km drive to the south of Spain. Its going to be fun:D

Thanks to Eoin in shadow motors I've peace of mind knowing my car got a full check up from roatry expert.

Edited by Gizmo

Thanks JP I will indeed going to be a great spin down:D

Be interesting to see if I can get anything for mine over there as an average 04-06 left hand with no modifications is going for 6 grand in Spain  :o

Hi Sebastián, 

I gutted the cat and it was still eating the juice. My coils were at 50k so I changed them and that worked. It might also be your sparks plugs.. it depends how many kms you have on your coils & plugs I'd check them first..  If you can't figure it out I'd suggest taking it to the lads in Shadow motors there experts at anything roatary and half the price of taking it to mazda dealers.