Davy_db

My First FD.. New to everything

Hey guys and girls if any... not sure if they're smarter than us men for getting involved with these cars lol..

I've been a Honda man for many of years and into cars in general for aslong as I can remember but there has always been something special with the whole rx7 saga for me.. as I'm getting older and closer to the old 30 I thought it was about time to take the leap.. I've lots to learn and ready for it.. After many months searching and weighing up pros and cons I've ended up with a 1999 IBP rb-s.. so far ive done around 600 miles with only getting it home recently and loved them all.. all help and tips for a newbie are welcome.. I'm up in N.Ireland so I'm not too far away and will get down for a few meets and shows.. don't have many photos yet but here it is.. Thanks

RX7.JPG

Hi Davy, welcome along. Looks mint. Always been a fan of a blue FD. There's plenty of info on the forum and chcek out the irish rotary Facebook page. In terms of tips, regular oil services and coolant flushes is a must. and plugs and fuel filter another thing to remember. Use premix TCW3 spec 2 stroke oil in your fuel for extra lubrication. I put 125 mls per 50 litres. Avoid very short trips when moving the car. U need to get some heat in the engine to prevent flooding.

An oil catch can and bigger radiator are a good place to start for reliability mods and wont cost too much. An aftermarket downpipe will free up some power. Is the car standard or modified?

Thanks.. its been a long time since I had a blue car and its a great blue so had to hold out for one, yea I'm making my way through it slowly and hearing the same things from a few people along the same idea's.. but like a lot of things, just look after it and maintain it and they should treat us well. The two stroke in the fuel is a new one though, here is a couple more bad photos also, hopefully get some nice ones soon.

Its fairly standard to be honest and seems to work very well, so want to go the right way about modding it and just take my time, so far it has a buddyclub axle back and blitz air filters, some mister r coilovers with nice mazdaspeed wheels made by rays, a pair of apexi gauges and a few things like vac lines and clutch just done.. the sound is just so nice out of it, very addictive to drive lol. maybe a silly question but here we go.. do all the fd's have pre-cat pipes? cause I hear they cause bother, and I assume if I put a downpipe and b section in its still fine to drive on the standard map and ecu?

Thanks.

large.RX7-1.JPG.cab5a55529df9239ce8ad900c57a01be.JPGlarge.RX7-2.JPG.43b6c1a4210f487fdecba60fffac7139.JPGlarge.RX7-3.JPG.14149feeeb0c7c3aa1e65ac6de59aeb2.JPGlarge.RX7-4.JPG.8ca4a6906b8671275c920e68109be809.JPGlarge.RX7-5.JPG.e69458ca1b3f817028fa60e35762a71b.JPG

The pre-cat was usdm (american) cars only for emissions as was egr. It was in the downpipe but jap cars got none of that. Be careful when reading the US forums. There are also some differences between 8bit 16bit and 99 spec Rx7's to be aware of. You can fit a downpipe and the each will handle it no problem. I wouldn't be surprised if there is one already fitted. Google HKS downpipe. most aftermarket ones look the same. Just leave the CAT in place or u will overboost and kill your engine. So to be clear the exhaust has downpipe with no precat, cat/midpipe and cat back which u already have

You can run a hi Flo cat but porting the wastegate is required or decent with restrictor plate but ud need to monitor afr and boost.

Vac lines are nice to have done and is something il be doing this winter myself.

It will run completely safe on the standard each as it sits so just enjoy driving it and getting familliar with it. Theres plenty threads on premix and down the line u can think about an aftermarket ecu. Stiv at MD tuning is the man for that and Shadow rotary for everything else if u need them.

I thought it was to do just with the US cars but wanted to check.. started off reading US forums briefly and quickly learnt I had to be careful as some stuff just didn't sound right. I don't think there will be a downpipe fitted as most stuff has been done in the last few months, do you think its worth getting the dp ceramic coated if I buy one? and literally bolt off and bolt on? I'm going to try content myself and just drive it mean time.. its my first proper jap rwd car also so will take some adjusting. I've read abit about those two names from reading over the site.. seem to be the people to goto but think my plan will be more rad and intercooler then ecu/computer to keep track of all the important things so everything that then gets added can be monitored.

Where would you's mainly source parts from? I'm just on drooling over some of the parts on rhdjapan site lol

Downpipe will be a direct bolt on job. Ceramic coating would be great and stick up the name of the company doing it for fellow rotards, but regular magma heat wrap or similar is a lot cheaper and sufficient. If you are going aftermarket smic it will need proper ducting to get the benefits over the oem one.

For parts you can stick up a wanted post here or on Facebook or keep an eye out for parts for sale there. Then there is fduk.com and some rx7 Facebook pages for parts. There's a thread here somewhere for companies, mazdatrix, banzai ffe, dmmotorsport, and many more. If bought from Yahoo auctions Japan before. And there's a crowd in Galway with a few fd's for breaking if u ever need some.

Good job.. Thanks very much for all the first hand info.. i'll keep this updated when I do start tickering with it but could be awhile.. any more questions i'll have a hunt first before bothering people lol, cheers

gorgous FD mate, love the colour, best of luck with it, main thing id do first is get an aftermarket ecu (apexi pfc etc..) and remap it, reason being is the rotary engine is very sensitive to knock, in japan there tuned to japanese fuel 100ron, in ireland our fuel sucks, is about 95ron at best, i see your in NI so id be using 99ron at all times but well worth a remap, also if you want to get the most out of your map, new intercooler,rad, downpipe , decat and exhaust.. up the boost a little and she'll be flying

Thanks very much.. they look great in every colour but i needed a blue one lol. Yea I read the fuel makes a difference but even up north we only get 97.. but I can hopefully drive as is for a bit while I gather up said parts and leave it in for one big fit out.. by looks of it parts can be dear enough so don't want to scrimp on anything ..