• Announcements

• flower

Forum Mobile Activity   11/17/2017

We are trying to encourage more people to get involved on this forum. Please take a moment to complete the survey here and to share any ideas/improvements you may have.  

Appologies for the clickbait title :D

On this "7 day" here is something that I've been meaning to post for a while...

Long time Mazda enthusiast, dailying a mx5 Mk1 turbo for a few years, a friend of mine mentioned a few times that he knew of a Mazda that had been in storage for many years and that has infamous rotary engine. He remembers seing the car but is unsure of what it was.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's probably an uninteresting diesel estate of some sort, and that to keep the girlfriend happy, another car is probably not the best idea anyway.

A few months go by, and my friend keeps telling me that we are always welcome to see that car, a few hundred meters from his place in Cork. It's the beginning of 2014, and we setup to see the car.

It's early 2014 and we visit David and his wife Barbara.

David bought the car 16 years ago. From the brown logbook, we can see that the car was sold by the main dealer in Dublin. He and never really drove it as the car was too low and too fast for him. David is sick, and cannot speak anymore. He shows me a few pictures of the car back in the days:

178129IMG8874.jpg

736570IMG8618.jpg

David and his wife mention that they would like to sell the car.

I manage to convince the GF that we may invest in more rust. She doesn't even change the locks, so I take it as a yes.

The next day, I visit David and Barbara, and make them an offer, and after 24h of unbearable suspens, I own an RX7 that I haven't seen running yet. What could go wrong.

Thanks!

I have footage for video#8 when we washed it after 17 years, but then i was making more progress everyday as the car was home, so I never bothered filming again.. maybe we'll make a "revisit" episode as the car is now :)

Nico

700 miles in the week end, quite a few sessions on track and still going...

Only issue we had was that I lost 2 out of 3 downpipe nuts, so it was a little noisy and smelly on the way back to Cork!

ff9bf84fee48fdc73c32eaafb1a12cb9--father

I've made a spec-list. Seems quite a lot for a fairly standard car!

1991 RX7 FC3S Turbo II, Serie 5.

Exterior:
ReAmemiya type I rear spoiler
OEM front lip.
Rear wiper delete.
Stainless steel driver side door handle.
JDM rear lights and square plate
S5 USDM mirrors

Interior:
Recaro Speed seats in black leatherette. Bride rail on driver side, Modified FC OEM rail on passenger side.
Momo 350mm steering wheel
Trust Grex gearknob
OEM mats, seats and parcel shelf.
Clarion DUB278RMP Stereo.

Engine:
Stock port S5 turbo engine.
Rebuilt OEM turbo, with ported wastegate runners.
Apexi N1-style turbo-back exhaust, with custom backbox.
Emission stuff deleted, including rats’ nest.
Ported throttle body, secondary plates removed.
R-Magic Pro Staff JDM remapped ECU.
Walbro 450lph fuel pump.
Aftermarket foam air filter.
HKS SSQV dump valve.
Alfa Romeo 2-stage Electric fan, Volvo 2-stage rely, and BMW e36 2-stage thermoswitch.
Leading coil relocated next to trailing one
BURQ9 plugs all round
PTFE inlet manifold gasket
Gilmer pulleys kit
New water pump.
Power steering pump lowered
Aluminium power steering pulley
Odyssey PC680 battery relocated in front of the rad.

Transmission:
XTD 240mm paddle clutch, OEM pressure plate.
OEM S5 gearbox
FD Torsen diff in FC casing.

Wheels:
R32 GTR 16x8 et30 Forged
205/55r16 Nankang NS2Rs
15mm spacers front. 20mm spacers rear.

Brakes:
Front: 4 port Brembo calipers and discs from Mitsubishi Evo 5-9. Carbotech front pads
Rear: Rebuilt FC OEM calipers with oem-spec pads
ABS deleted
Subaru STI 17/16” master cylinder and dual diaphragm brake servo
Tilton brake bias valve

Suspension:
GABsport adjustable dampening shocks
Pi -35mm springs
Front camber plates/top-hats
S4 front lower arms/wishbones.
Eibach camber bolts in struts
ARB links replaced with rose-joints
Driftworks adjustable rear camber arm
individual camber links replaced with shorter rose joints.
DTSS delete rear hubs bushes

Awesome backstory Nico! Cool history of the car! :)

Also, love the combination of "Alfa Romeo 2-stage Electric fan, Volvo 2-stage rely, and BMW e36 2-stage thermoswitch"! :lol::lol:

Seemed pretty quick on track too at Kirkistown - I remarked one part of the video where you passed me doing a cool-down lap: the N/A rotary grey 8 in front of you was making so much noise you could hear it over the sound of your own car!! :lol:

17 hours ago, jp said:

Awesome backstory Nico! Cool history of the car! :)

Thanks JP!

Also, love the combination of "Alfa Romeo 2-stage Electric fan, Volvo 2-stage rely, and BMW e36 2-stage thermoswitch"! :lol::lol:

Thanks JP!

I like recycling parts from other cars, it's cheaper than going aftermarket! Nissan wheels, Mitsubishi and Subaru brake parts, etc.. At least I'm trying to keep the spirit of the car, so it stays rotary :)

Seemed pretty quick on track too at Kirkistown - I remarked one part of the video where you passed me doing a cool-down lap: the N/A rotary grey 8 in front of you was making so much noise you could hear it over the sound of your own car!! :lol:

I had good fun on the track, car was running well except the odd cuts, (due to the CAS connector getting lose, figured that a few weeks later when it stopped completely :D)... I would probably have had even more fun if I did not have such a long way home, Cork would have been a long walk away from Kirkistown :lol:

The bridge-port 13b rx8 on carbs was quite loud alright, but unfortunately decided to spit out an Apex seal while I was following him, and had to call it a day...

Nico