L'eSkro

The Bard Find

18 posts in this topic

Appologies for the clickbait title :D

On this "7 day" here is something that I've been meaning to post for a while...

Long time Mazda enthusiast, dailying a mx5 Mk1 turbo for a few years, a friend of mine mentioned a few times that he knew of a Mazda that had been in storage for many years and that has infamous rotary engine. He remembers seing the car but is unsure of what it was.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's probably an uninteresting diesel estate of some sort, and that to keep the girlfriend happy, another car is probably not the best idea anyway.

A few months go by, and my friend keeps telling me that we are always welcome to see that car, a few hundred meters from his place in Cork. It's the beginning of 2014, and we setup to see the car.

It's early 2014 and we visit David and his wife Barbara.

David bought the car 16 years ago. From the brown logbook, we can see that the car was sold by the main dealer in Dublin. He and never really drove it as the car was too low and too fast for him. David is sick, and cannot speak anymore. He shows me a few pictures of the car back in the days:

178129IMG8874.jpg

736570IMG8618.jpg

David and his wife mention that they would like to sell the car.

I manage to convince the GF that we may invest in more rust. She doesn't even change the locks, so I take it as a yes.

The next day, I visit David and Barbara, and make them an offer, and after 24h of unbearable suspens, I own an RX7 that I haven't seen running yet. What could go wrong.

Aido 8 likes this

Will try to edit this post to have videos playing directly from this page

Thanks!

I have footage for video#8 when we washed it after 17 years, but then i was making more progress everyday as the car was home, so I never bothered filming again.. maybe we'll make a "revisit" episode as the car is now :)

Nico

Rex Ruthor likes this

Wow the lemon juice turns the cement into dust,it cleaned up really well, some great work you have done there:)

L'eSkro likes this

700 miles in the week end, quite a few sessions on track and still going...

Only issue we had was that I lost 2 out of 3 downpipe nuts, so it was a little noisy and smelly on the way back to Cork!

ff9bf84fee48fdc73c32eaafb1a12cb9--father