On 2017-3-14 at 2:53 AM, Gizmo94 said:

just have to parcel motel it as they only deliver to Uk works out around 9 euro 50cent a bottle

You can also use an post's uk delivery thing. It allows you to send it to their uk address and then you pay 3.75 to send it to your local post office or 5.90 to your house

https://addresspal.anpost.ie/

I use the Anpost one regularly - find it great. But for the premix, I get 5 litres of north sea streampower marine grade two stroke from PR Reilly's in Kilkenny for €27 

Is it this you use.... NSL7296L5
NSL 2t Outboard Engine oil 5litre
€33.52

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

I have looked in some depth at the premix issue and threads elsewhere. One way of reducing the cost of premix, is to use a Sohn adapter and feed 2 stroke directly into the engine instead of engine oil. There is a good sohn kit on ebay with all the parts for converting over. I wont go into all the pros and cons, but potentially you may no longer need to premix, but some people recommend it in addition to premix in the fuel tank. You might also save on the need to do as regular engine oil changes.

In terms of cheaper premix I WOULD NOT recommend North Sea Lubricants NSL7296L5. If we ignore all the marketing descriptive bull and stick to industry comparisons, there are 2 main standards.

JASO (A Japanese standard) recommended for rotaries is oil meeting JASO FD

ISO (International standard) recommended for rotaries is oil meeting ISO L EGD

Generally these oils are 100% synthetic and expensive. They should also be lower ash and have a higher flash point, although I like to stick to standards and ignore marking waffle and specification sheets that cannot be compared like for like.

You might save buying in 5 litres quantities, or going to a less well known brand.

See here for proof:

https://www.mm-intercom.si/wp-content/uploads/2015/08/NSL-katalog.compressed.pdf

and here for a comparison table:

http://www.reinhardoil.dk/North sea lube brochuer/48325 NSL Specifications 2013 HR 040213.pdf

From those charts Stream Power 2T extra part number 7294 and Stream Power SYN2T part number 7295, do meet the standards, although part number 7295 is probably better and more expensive. The one spoken about earlier in the thread does not seem to have been tested to the JASO or ISO standards and it is only tested to a NMMA standard.

So to summarise:

JASO FD or ISO L EGD is what is really needed, and then we can compare prices. I was paying about 4 euro (1/4 litre) a 70 euro fill (50 litres) for premix (200:1 ratio), and it would be good to get an equivalent.  I was using Castrol Power 1 Racing 2T at 17 ish euro in halfords.

I see one JASO FD oil on ebay 4L for 26 euro including shipping which is 6.50 a litre. If you buy in higher quantity then price reduces (free shipping on additional quantity) towards 4.24 a litre. I would recommend the TC+ from ebay as it is fully synthetic and meets the specification.  I just ordered 5 x 1L for 5.70 a litre including shipping.

If buying in Halfords I would recommend the Castrol Power 1 2T over the "RACING" as the difference seems to be to do with a "wet clutch performance" and this is cheaper at 13.20 a litre. This cheaper oil meets the JASO FD and should be as good if not better than the racing version for your engine. Ideally fully synthetic is better, but without a comparison standard it would be best to just save the money and put it towards a rebuild!

I would also recommend making up a premix filling kit and storage system as I have managed to spill premix twice now in my boot, and cheaper containers do not have a pull out funnel.

There was a discussion on the facebook group in relation to premix. I will try copy the info below so everyone can make up their mind for themselves:

-------------------------------------

>James O Connor Right lads I have 12 x1 litre bottles of Marine 2 stroke (not the North Sea Stuff)! I can take 4. Eoin is taking 4 or 5! Who's definitely up for One?

Mike Clinton -> Synth two stroke (fully synthetic 2 stroke) is as bad as synth oil in a rotary engine.
I use mineral two stroke carrying the TCW3 standard which has superb bonding qualities and ideal for two stroke watercraft engines.
I am a marine engineer/outboard technician with over 25 years of two stroke experience.
No watercraft engine uses synth/semi synth two stroke oil.
Even Yamaha jetski's use a finely blended two stroke oil at a metered 100/1 mix (which I personally think is too little) so my customers pre-mix with TCW3 mineral as well.
None of the customers have come back with oil problems.
We have been using TCW3 mineral in our 13B which was rebuilt almost 7 years ago.

Mike Clinton We are in the republic and I source my TCW3 from my suppliers.
I have just collected a box of 12 x 1lt bottles today.
James is collecting them for people to try.
They are costing me just under €5 p/l and I am passing on the cost to members.
The NMMA is the marine water cooled engine spec.

>James O Connor This is a different oil to the north sea stuff and Mike has been using it in his fd for years with no issue! I do believe some people only use the Castrol you mentioned, Shane being one of them for his pp race car.

>

-------------------------------------------

So Mike recommends TCW3 standard. This is a marine standard, and most TCW3 oils do not have a JASO or ISO standard attached. Nothing seems to be recommended for a rotary engine except the non synthetic (mineral) in the normal oil as recommended by Mazda since mid 2017 notice to dealers.

http://www.rx8help.com/doc/tsbs/Rotary Engine Oil (Prohibition of Use of Synthetic Engine Oil).pdf

So possibly based on this, and a bit of guesswork, then a 2 stroke additive fully synthetic is not the way to go, as it may get washed away, which is not what we want, and going with a TCW3 standard might be a better option. I bought some TCW3 oil from ebay, and I will start premixing my RX8 with this. Time will tell..(hopefully a long time)

----------------------------------------------------------