saph-wez

Intermittent Spark and P0336 Code

Just before christmas my rx8 has refused to start and hasn't run since. Error code P0336 eccentric sensor range/performance is now present.

I have replaced the sensor with a new one and cleaned all the earth points but i still have the same code coming back.

I tested for spark and it seems to spark once or twice when you first start cranking then cuts out. With the spark plugs installed you do get a little splutter where it is trying to start on the first couple of sparks when you first crank the starter but stops trying obviously due to the spark cutting out.

It had a new battery and hi power starter fitted last year so they are fine and it has excellent cranking speed.

I'm thinking it may be an ecu fault, although an autosparky i know said that if the ecu was cutting the spark then it wouldn't spark at all and thinks its a secondary sensor somewhere that is electrically tied into the crank sensor (like a cam sensor on a normal 4 pot engine).

I have pleaded with him for weeks to take a look but as he has never dealt with a rotary before he's reluctant to take the job on.

Has anyone ever come across this fault before? or can think of anything to check before they have my pants down at the main dealers?

My next job is to test the wiring loom once i get my multimeter back from my mate

Any help massively appreciated!

I had suspected a ground issue and have already cleaned and greased all earth points including the battery terminals.

Just to be certain i ran a jump lead from battery negative to chassis also tried earthing battery to engine but still no better

Can you re-check that the coils are all securely connected to the leads and the harness. Occasionally, the harness connections don't click in correctly and it can cause such issues. For another member recently, the magnecor leads were faulty - if you have spares to swap it would be helpful

Thanks i will go through and check connections tomorrow. The leads are about a year old and havent had much use.

Its only the leading ones that spark on startup and both leading ones are sparking intermittent at the same time which makes me think its something else within the circuit.

All suggestions massively appreciated. I really need to get her running again

As far as i know its still on the original engine. Its only done 55k and i have every reciept for it from new and none relate to an engine change.

Also in preperation for testing the loom i had to drill all the security bolts off that secure the ecu and they looked to have been untouched.

I have found an official mazda step by step of what to check when this code arises including wiring and testing so i'll go get my multimeter back today and go through checking it.

Please keep any suggestions coming its a huge help

Thanks i'm a mechanic by trade so i've dealt with similar issues before. I normally send these kinda jobs to my autosparky mate but i just cannot get him to commit to it.

I have a free day later this week so i'm going to make up and fit some extra earth cables and test the loom following the official mazda guide

I will also remove, check and clean all 4 coils and terminals as rex ruthor suggested

I've found a few threads with similar problems and no one has posted if they ever solved the problem. They either still have a non runner or are too busy enjoying their running RX!

I will keep you updated

We now have a running rex!

Just to update it was a cheap and nasty crank sensor off ebay that was causing it. I replaced it with a genuine used one and it fired up straight away.

I had both sensors side by side and the cheap one was 1mm too short so wasn't picking up the signal properly.

1 week later and she's still running sweet

So moral of the story, cheap crank sensors are a no-go

Hope this helps anyone with similar problems in the future