Chazz

RX8 won't rev beyond 3,100rpm in 5th and 6th gear

175 posts in this topic

Very sorry to read about all of your issues @Chazz. Strange one on the warranty. Got mine done by Leonard (before I saw this thread obviously :() in April and he gave me 24 Months on it. Suppose it doesn't matter anyway, I know you've said you wouldn't go back either way.

Yah cowboy build with no engineering thought in mind:rolleyes:, god knows what bearings are in it or how worn they are,ahhh scary, at least now the boys have it and everything will be spot on in the rebuild, no short cuts.
Delighted for yah Carl onwards and upwards from here on in mateB)

10 hours ago, Aido 8 said:

Yah cowboy build with no engineering thought in mind:rolleyes:

I don't think it's very fair to be making those comments. While you may well be right, the only people qualified to make that assertion are the lads in Shadow after they've taken the engine apart, otherwise it's just pure conjecture. 

littlefeck likes this

Well spent the afternoon out with Anthony and Eoin and watched as they dismantled my RX8 engine.
Now previous mentioned, the compression results show rear compression in the 9's the front rotor in the 3's. So we thought, ah a quick simple fix.

When the guys got to getting the engine out they noticed a lot of oil seeping out from the rear. Once the rear bearing was out they noted the rubber seal was the incorrect one. It was for an RX7 not for my RX8.
Removed the back plate and noted the rubber seal was perished. Looking in at the rear rotor before removal it was plain to see that parts were broken. One corner seal spring was never put in. Apex seals were inferior and broken and the springs themselves were the wrong type for the seals themselves. The side seals were too small i.e way to much movement between each corner seal plug.
The same can be said for the front rotor as above but with further damage.
The Rotors themselves are clearly marked with a 'D'
The eccentric shaft wasn't a 'D' but a 'C'. Therefore the weight of the shaft was at a different tolerance to the rotors leading to an imbalance. The rear bearing had wear on it as a result.
As for the 2 housings, they are completely knackered and need to be replaced.

Here are a few photos.

2905c0db687b68130674e78fa4af4cba.jpg
6b85d8869d8f7f22ec596e7f4826a49e.jpg
1207de5a8b0ef924449e6cc2beeb39d7.jpg
c67a23a4ce458290f435f0bcfe315332.jpg

So I believe I'm justified in stating that the rebuild I got was a very shoddy one indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fuck lad that's bad. Serious chatter on the housings. If there's anything I can help out with just let me know. You can see the length of the apex springs don't match the seals. Gutted for you.

Chazz and RichieDC like this

Cheers guys!

Anthony and Eoin are gonna put it right.
The two guys are the best this side and the other side of Tokyo
It was great to see them tear down the engine bit by bit. Takes no time at all to do that part.
Anthony was right when he told me they like customers to come out and see them tear down the engine so as you can see firsthand what has gone wrong internally.

By the time I was leaving Nicola Egan offered to give the guys a hand on cleaning down my salvageable parts.
She had a similar problem as mine with apex seals and springs.

Anyway the guys will let me know sometime tomorrow what the time frame and cost.
I think I'm getting it ported too

Rex Ruthor and RichieDC like this

Shit, terrible news Chazz. At least you know you are at the right place to get it done proper this time. With Shadows craftsmanship and all the cleaning you done last month it will be like a brand new motor when you get it back B)

Chazz and RichieDC like this

11 hours ago, muckwarrior said:

I don't think it's very fair to be making those comments. While you may well be right, the only people qualified to make that assertion are the lads in Shadow after they've taken the engine apart, otherwise it's just pure conjecture. 

lol your going to have to do better than that to wind me up, but I will tell you what's not fair is putting parts in the renesis that was not designed to be put in there which you can see on the previous page for which is confirmation enough for anyone I would have thought. Also when it doesn't happen to one self you don't feel as pissed, but I feel pissed in the knowledge of knowing other rotor heads have paid for a proper rebuild that they did not simply get ,and of course it is another reason the rotary gets a bad name, I call it cowboy builds cant see why it brought out one of your rear posts, never mind  what's been written after you quoted me Thanks

Chazz likes this

Just catching up on this thread, sorry to read about your troubles chazz, that looks like an awful build. At least you're on the right path now but the amount of hours you've put in trying to diagnose the problem is unbelievable, most people would have given up ages ago! I think you should demand that the builder coughs up some cash, for your time at least. You seem pretty calm about it but I think I'd be threatening legal action.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rex Ruthor, RichieDC and Chazz like this

The same can be said for the front rotor as above but with further damage.

And the rear rotor was still making compression in the 9's with that level of dafectiveness??

Chazz likes this

Yeah I've never seen a reading in the 9s before. 8s are like unicorn poop. I've seen one instance of 3s, on the uk club, where an apex seal had gone and the chambers were sharing compression, making a 6 overall, but the engine was still running.

Compression readings give a good overall indication of engine health but at the end of the day it's only an indication. As far as repeatability, even the best tester can be off by 5-10% from day to day. Readings in the 9s like Carl are usually due to overfuelling in the chamber creating a better seal. Once the engine was running better you'd get a more accurate set of numbers.

RichieDC likes this

glad to see your getting sorted finally chazz, the lads do top notch work , as for that build... holy shit.. i mean leaving out stuff, using incorrect seals, wrong type weighted shafts and rotors , spurious apex seals etc.. etc.. thats just awful, literally thrown together with bits of shit around the garage with the 'that'll do' mentality, ive been to his garage and he does quite a bit of work on rx7s and rx8's, which is a shame because it gives rotary engines a very bad name when built like this, not to mention ripping people off, im a sparks and usually tradesmen garauntee there work for 6-12months after completion but if a house/building burnt down after 18 months due to my faulty wiring id be looking at a prison sentence 

i definatly think a stern phonecall is in order, the effort you put in trying to solve your issues thinking it couldnt be the engine its only recently rebuilt was incredible, 

atleast now its been looked after by lads who share the same passion as we do for our cars, 

its a tough lesson learned,

now you can throughly enjoy a proper built rx8.. and as dara(rex ruther) says... port the shit out of it ;)

Edited by seanmcg
fduker, RichieDC, Aido 8 and 1 other like this

My only input after catching up is I'm both heartbroken for ya Carl but at the same time relieved that there's no more wasting of your own time. The guys here are spot on tho. A stern phone call back to the builder, and further follow up if no compensation is offered. That's an incredible list of inappropriate and unsuitable parts used.

And +1000000 on the porting comment. You won't know her when she's done right B)

Aido 8 and Rex Ruthor like this

@Dartz, sure was but could have been just pure luck. It could have crapped out at any time. You would have to see the state of the engine in person to really appreciate the full picture.
I'm surprised the engine didn't go off like a grenade at some point.