L'eSkro

L'e$kro's JDM RX8 6 speed

Hi everyone,

Nico here from Cork.

Yesterday I had a day off and had the pleasure to meet @John001, who was selling his RX8 S1 as he now owns a S2.

To be honest, I didn't particularly like the RX8 so far, too modern for my taste, but this one was black, so I thought it would match my other cars, and they represent quite good value for money as most people get scared by rotaries.

Anyway, in Mazda's fashion, the car wouldn't start, but after removing the fuel pump fuse and cranking it for a while it started straight away.

841585IMG8057.jpg

The Alcantara interior is nice, will just need a clean...

269201IMG8059.jpg

I may end up insuring that as a main car in the next few weeks, and if I do so I will possibly change a few bits.

Will keep you posted!

Nico

Thanks Rex Ruthor!

Here are my first impressions about this RX8:

• It is way more modern than my other '91 and '92 Mazdas, it's impressive the progress made over a decade in terms of comfort, sound deadening etc. For once it has enough adjustments that I don't have to straight away gut foam out of the seats or change them, change the steering wheel etc.
  • The JDM stereo doesn't pick a lot of radio stations, but the audio is good otherwise. Way too many buttons on the stereo and heater controls, I preferred the minimalism of the mx5 on that side. I really like the clocks though, very fancy at night.
  • Power-wise it's a little disappointing. Both my mx5 and rx7 have similar power, but feel faster than this, more than the weight difference could possibly explain.
  • The gear ratios are too long to exploit the very wide power band, without having the torque to back it up.
  • The exhaust is very quiet, not used to that either.
  • Handling wise it's hard to say, Car pulls left so i need to investigate, and I reckon some bushes could be a little worn at the back as it feels imprecise.

Areas that would need attention:

• Wash and compound
  • Change the aftermarket gearknob that just "held" by Bluetack, or put moar Bluetack :D EDIT: done
  • Swap the stereo for a UK/Irish one EDIT: maybe not, the JDM one reads mp3s
  • Inspect and change worn bushes
  • Tracking

And what would could be done to make it more interesting, IMHO:

• 17" wheels, wider with lower offset and higher profile tyre
  • shorter springs or coil overs. Looks like a truck now. EDIT: done
  • Diff with a shorter ratio
  • Exhaust: EDIT: almost done

Dealing with insurance companies was a lot of hassle.

Ended up paying 1k for the year for 3rd party. I'm driving for 16 years, have 5 years no claim bonus in Ireland.

But then, there is worse: The logbook never came back. Turns out that it's not lost as the Motortax office claims, it's being held in Dublin as they want to put the engine as 1.7 instead of 1.3.

At least this went easy:

335110IMG81683.jpg

Nico

Update: 3 months later I got the logbook back. And is 1.7l. So I'm declaring it off the road, and renewed tax on the FC instead.

I just collected a spare 6port engine and a set of MazdaSpeed shocks and springs. The engine may get ported and rebuilt at some stage, but for now I will just throw the shocks on the car. Even if it just sits there, it will look better :D

833577IMG8755.jpg

Nicolas

I've installed the front ones yesterday:

Before:

487524IMG8758.jpg

After:

749436IMG8763.jpg

Hardly any difference in ride height. Maybe tightening the upper wishbone bushes at full droop doesn't help.. I went for a quick spin around the block and the car feels better. It's a little more firm but still comfy.

Nico

On 2/23/2017 at 1:04 PM, L'eSkro said:

I just collected a spare 6port engine and a set of MazdaSpeed shocks and springs. The engine may get ported and rebuilt at some stage

Dooooo iiiiiitttt! B)B) Port ALL OF THE THINGS!!! :D :lol:

I re-tightened the front upper wishbones with the lower arm jacked up, so the silent blocks aren't twisted when car is on the ground, it's a little lower now.

I swapped the rear shocks, and had to transfer the top hats and bump stops. I shortened the stops by about 20mm to compensate for the slightly shorter springs..

170966IMG8791.jpg

And here is the final result, better now!

537556IMG8792.jpg

I think I found the explanation why the traction control light goes on when I take a very long bypass/bend: the rear right tyre is 245/40r18 instead of 225/40r18 like the 3 others. i'm surprised the NCT man was happy with this! On more reason to swap for 17" wheels..

Nico

I had a "R3 spec" starter even before I had a rx8:

489205IMG0370.jpg

730574IMG0371.jpg

And I also swapped the leading coils for spare ones, to see if the car would pull better, as I find it a little slow, although it doesn't cut/misfire noticeably.

The ones in the car (on the right)  look quite new and are C stamped, but may not be original Mazdas?

424075IMG0372.jpg

I've also swapped the leads for Magnecor ones I got cheap:

216726IMG0374.jpg

I took the car for a spin around the block: it starts very easily on the new starter, even when the car is warm.

The car doesn't seem to pull better through the rev range though.

At least now that it starts easily when hot, I can possibly drive it this winter...

Nico

@L'eSkro That coil on the right of your picture definitely isn't a genuine one. Good to know that the upgraded starter is making life a bit easier, should take it along to the next rotary day and get it compression tested and mapped?

getting rid of that sound deadening makes a big difference too!

A little progress on this:

Modified the OBX manifold I got from ebay a while back:

Chopped off the flange

387041IMG1025.jpg

Then extended it a little as I won't be running a cat, and welded a vband:

897087IMG1031.jpg

I'll install it on the car and will make a full exhaust from there...

Nico

Some progress made yesterday evening:

Air pump before:

468875IMG1041.jpg

After:

369804IMG1043.jpg

Leftovers:

890647IMG1042.jpg

I'm guessing I will need @littlefeck to disable all emission-related features from the ECU as I won't be putting it back, and won't be running a second O2 sensor either :)

I removed the exhaust, after removing the exhaust shrouds from the rear bumper.

Removing the exhaust manifold was tricky enough. I followed the instructions from Racing Beat, but I also had to remove the silent block part of the mount entirely to remove the aluminium mount:

881219IMG1044.jpg

Now the plan:

438490IMG1048.jpg

The new manifold is in place, now I have to make the rest of the exhaust..

I'm hoping running a single silencer won't be too loud. I have the same backbox in the FC but the turbo helps keeping the noise down..

Nico

On 2/10/2017 at 0:16 PM, Aido 8 said:

Ahhh ok  you may have a uinque sounding RX8 thenB)

For sounding unique, it sounds unique. Way too loud for being neighborhood-friendly, so I'll have to add a second silencer, although space is limited..

359783IMG1081.jpg

975369IMG1083.jpg

775689IMG1087.jpg

The other issue being that car is sluggish, so I'll have to swap the coils to see if it gets any better...

EDIT: I've ordered the coils and leads recommended by @Chazz in his topic 

(I already had the adapter loom)

Nico

Added a mid silencer as it was too loud:

714377EA17BDF653014129800627DAFE8A1609.j

It's still loud but now I can drive in and out the neighbourhood without getting shot.

There is a leak at the manifold, so I have to double check it's tightened correctly at the block.

I swapped the plugs for FD BUR9Q ones, but it still doesn't rev correctly.

I ended up taxing the car today, so we'll see how it goes driving it everyday..

Interestingly, the Check Engine Light doesn't show up, while I have no airpump nor second O2 sensor...

Nico